• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount a tire carrier to my bumper?

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
igvhvr.jpg

igvijd.jpg

Trying to get some ideas where/how to mount a tire carrier to my bumper. Trouble is that the bumper only sticks out at most is 1/2" and that I have a receiver in the middle of the bumper. I want to put a tire carrier on but I dont want to have it swing close and cover the receiver. I have an idea to mount the hinge and latch on the face but I was wondering if anyone might have any good ideas about not covering up the receiver hole. BTW, it is 2X4 3/16" box and is mounted to the stock and receiver locations.
Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
I think your best bet is going to be to mount it on the face and make the bar across the bottom go up and over the 2" receiver.

You should be able to make it reasonably flush probably going to stick out about 2" or so from what you have.

Michael

Mount the spindle on the flat side of the bumper facing outward, and make an angular bar instead of a flat one that goes across the bumper. Check out C-rok to see the idea of an angled bar.

Thanks xjj33p3r.....that is an idea. I will not be putting the tire that high up and why the hell did they do that?
Carrier-On-2.jpg

Yea that should work somehow.
Brett

That is a great example of a aftermarket bumper /tire carrier to copy for you bumper.

You might also look at making it adjustable if you do much off roading and need departure angle.

Plus you can see the license plate:)

Michael

scottsxj said:
a little off topic, but who made those tail lights.
farmboydesigns.com

Interesting subject and something I've been looking at. Presently my spare takes up some room in the bed of the XJ. It looks as though the pivots take all the load. This means that when you're going down the trail the tire is bouncing around up/down/back/ forth. I looked up the weight of the 33X12.5X15's that are on my YJ, and Procomps chart said 53lb for just the tire. This CRoc example has this weight a fair piece from the mounts which would increase the stress on those mounts I would think.

My questions are: How is this working out? Does it rattle all the time? How about the bumper mounts, are they holding up? Has anyone backed into anything and not been able to close the tire gate again?

,Ron

Back