• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over the top or out to lunch?

grandpaxj

NAXJA Forum User
this may sound crazy but im thinking of doing some radical changes to my already modified xj and i would like to get a little input from those who have been down the road.
1. i'm thinking of putting a 5.3 vortex and a 4L 60E in place of my 4.0 and aw4. Any thoughts?
2. im thinking of changes my rear suspension to coil over, 4 link suspension.
For those of you that have made this change were you happy with it? My local 4x4 shop wants to use my xj for a proto type in building long arm link suspension. They want to start producing this for fellow xjers thanks for any help. Jerry

search here and POR.

grandpaxj said:
this may sound crazy but im thinking of doing some radical changes to my already modified xj and i would like to get a little input from those who have been down the road.
1. i'm thinking of putting a 5.3 vortex and a 4L 60E in place of my 4.0 and aw4. Any thoughts?
2. im thinking of changes my rear suspension to coil over, 4 link suspension.
For those of you that have made this change were you happy with it? My local 4x4 shop wants to use my xj for a proto type in building long arm link suspension. They want to start producing this for fellow xjers thanks for any help. Jerry
From what I've read, the rear coils are a good upgrade. They have their downsides like any other, but overall seem like a great choice. If they are going to use your XJ as a test model, does that mean you would get any kind of discount/sponsorship? If so, I'd jump at that deal.

Go for it dude. Nothing is wrong with having a unique XJ. Some people like rear coils, and some don't since it gets rid of some lateral stability. Either way, if I were in your position, I would do it. Make sure to swap out your rear axle if you already haven't before you upgrade the motor and do the link suspension.

I am interested in why you want to make the changes (other than just to make them).

1. Personally I really like the 4.0 (why switch it out). Is your shot and you have the other engine sitting doing nothing?

2. There are several who have done coils in the back with 4 link and there are several opions on that subject (worth a search). Personally I think that the front and rear suspension should match (not too much flex on one axle). So I would assume that your rear does not flex enough at the moment and you want to match it to the front?

Michael

I guess the biggest problem is that I'm always making changes to improve for the better, I hope, and I'm kinda a horse power geek. I have a need for more horsepower and greater travel in my suspension. if you look at my signature you can see that i've done a lot to the supenion already now, just thinking of more

Starscream918 said:
Definately.

Except for the Chevrolet engine part.

Does the shop know what they are doing? A poorly executed link suspension is far worse than a decent set of leafs. Ask them some questions regarding anti-squat and axle steer. If they have a blank look on their face, say "thanks, but no thanks."

the shop i'm talking about has a national reputation. They have built many rock crawlers that have placed in the top 10 in U Rock. THey have built $150,000 buggies for the baja 1000. They their own rock crawler placed 1st and 8th back in the eastern rock crawling competition. Their shop is always loaded with so many vehicles. They have a great reputation. I have known them for years. People come to them and write out a blank check for $50,000-70,000 to have the custom outfits built, and i know of 8 out fits that they have built that have been on the cover of 4 wheel drive magazines. So their reputation is good. Now the biggest question i still have is, have any body put a 5.3 in an XJ? They weigh a 150 lbs less than the 4.0 and produce 135 more horse power.

grandpaxj said:
the shop i'm talking about has a national reputation. They have built many rock crawlers that have placed in the top 10 in U Rock. THey have built $150,000 buggies for the baja 1000. They their own rock crawler placed 1st and 8th back in the eastern rock crawling competition. Their shop is always loaded with so many vehicles. They have a great reputation. I have known them for years. People come to them and write out a blank check for $50,000-70,000 to have the custom outfits built, and i know of 8 out fits that they have built that have been on the cover of 4 wheel drive magazines. So their reputation is good. Now the biggest question i still have is, have any body put a 5.3 in an XJ? They weigh a 150 lbs less than the 4.0 and produce 135 more horse power.

Who is it?

i think its all cool except for the freakin Chevy part! Whats wrong with peaple these days?

grandpaxj said:

Plenty of people have put SBC's in XJ's. An SBC is an SBC, put it in, fab the mounts, fab a crossmember, done. Finding a big enough radiator to cool it is another matter.

Personally, I have had enough problems with daily driver Vortecs and 4l60e's. I would never put either in a rock rig, I'd never have any faith that it would get me home from the woods!

i wouldnt pay for someone to test something on my rig , they should be paying you or doing it completely for free becuase the amount of feed back they need to start selling kits to the public is very valuable, what do you do when their design is whacked and you had to pay for it? any good vendor wouldnt make somebody pay to do thier testing for them.

if you want more power look into a l31 vortec long block use the gmpp intake or adapth a aftermarket vortec intake to accept a gm tbi set up. tons of off the line grunt and it will pull till you run redline. im from lubbock and scoggin dickey is a parts center, they claim hp to be near 285 and tq to be around 390ftlbs. personally id stay away from the 4l60 of anykind. if your going to build it do some research get a 4l80 and get a tci computer for it or you can reprogram a diesel tcm from a 6.5 diesel. or adapt it to the stock tranny

Back