• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ tie rod?

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
My JKS HD tie rod is now officially 'lost' by UPS. They are initiating a 'tracer' on the package which could take up to 8 business days. I need to drive my rig, so I am looking for something local and heavy duty. Is the ZJ tie rod the same length as the XJ unit? Do they use the same tie rod ends? If not, and they use different ones, what mods will I have to make(drilling,etc) to make it work. Thanks in advance.

Get the whole zj setup and it is beefier.

ZJ stuff is much beefier than stock. Draglink and tierod bolted right up with only minor adjustments for alignment. I am pretty sure you could just replace the tierod with your stock draglink if funds are an issue. ..............somewhere around here are the Napa part numbers.

Funds are always an issue, to some degree, for I am the owner of a Jeep.
Thing is, I looked at the draglinks for the I6 and V8 grand cherokees and they are 95% identical. My I6 is the same as the ZJ I6, so I will see how it goes. I liked the TREs on the mopar stuff, so I spent $210 at the stealership instead of NAPA stuff. Should have gone to conversion, for the money, but no time now before weekend.

bgcntry72 said:
Do I need the ZJ draglink as well?
Can I get this at NAPA or only a stealership?

The beefier setup is the ZJ V-8 setup. Sixes are different. You need to get the whole ZJ setup, because the parts go together differently. I looked at it a couple of years back and after pricing everything I'd need (at discount due to my parts volume) I couldn't justify it, so I bought an XJ tie rod and ends.

The ZJ setup is beefier, but not really necessary unless you habitually stop by rolling the tie rod up against boulders.

roger that

on the V8 stuff. I like the 3/4 ton TREs used and the fact that one is part of the tie rod. It seems to bolt up to my drag link just fine. Thanks for the info, more after the weekend.

Update

Scrapped the whole plan and just got some replacement TREs from NAPA and a JKS HD Tie rod. Thanks for the help nonetheless.

OK so does the zj v8 DRAG LINK mach up with the Rubicon Express xj tie rod. I thought I saw a post on here that said the 5.9L v8 one worked but now I cant find it. I just hamered mine on the Con 2 weeks ago so I need a beefier one.

Thanks
Jeff

Back