• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in bog, then froze, frozen lock cylinders?

rydesolow

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I recently got stuck in a bog, and my jeep flooded with water. Now its really cold, and froze. I cannot get into the jeep now. It's a 91 cherokee xj. I can put the key into the key cylinder, and turn it, but cant turn it enough to unlock the doors. If I can get in, on the inside, the lock button cannot be moved even with extreme force. Ive seen the inside of these doors before, there is a small cylinder on the bottom with a plunger looking thing on top, could water of gotten into this and frozen? This would stop me from being able to turn the key all the way I think. Also, Im thinking of drilling holes in the bottom of the door to drain any water in the future. Any ideas? Can I replace or drill a hole in the power lock cylinder to drain out the water in it? Thanks, Alex

yes i have, it has no effect. that would just unlock the cylinder where the key goes into. the actual power lock cylinder is on the bottom of the door, and has a rod going straight down to it, and on the top of the door there is a horizontal rod that connects the vertical rod with the lock button on the inside.

Un hook the power lock solenoid rod and spray down the inside of the door lock/latch mechanism with (warmed) lock deicer. Try working the solenoid rod by hand and with power, with it unhooked.
I've had my door lock solenoids apart before and the only sign of internal moisture, was in one with a torn boot.
The doors do have drains, that sometimes get plugged up with junk.
I'm thinking the door lock/latch mechanism itself is frozen. I've had them freeze stiff, when it got cold enough to almost freeze the grease solid. Any ice in the mech. will sure enough mess it up.
I took all of the grease out of my door lock/latch mechanisms and soak them periodically in synthetic motor oil/mixed with graphite, as a lubricant. It occasionally gets really cold here.

Back