• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor stopped working

tnxj

NAXJA Forum User
On my way home today I noticed that my blower motor had quit working, it sure would be nice to have my heater back. Anyways, it was already dark but I checked the huge 40A fuse under the hood, and all of the others 15A and above figuring it would have had to be one of them if it wasn't the huge one marked Blower. They all looked good. Still, the fan won't run no matter the position of the fan speed dial. So I pulled the plug on the blower motor and checked it with my junk walmart multimeter. One leg always shows 13-14 volts when the jeep is running. The other shows the same with the switch turned off, but when I turn the switch on that leg drops to zero and reads continuity with the ground wire. So I assume the fan motor is controlled by the ground side? Anyway, does this sound like a bad blower motor or some other problem? Thanks in advance. Its a 98 XJ 4.0/AW4/4x4.

The bearings on the motors get all gummed up and stall the motor. If you pull the motor, you might be able to flush the bearings with carb cleaner, then re-oil them, otherwise the motor is probably shot. You can pull the plug under the hood and jumper gnd and +12v to the motor to double check.

Checked it with the engine off and get 12.6V on one leg all the time, 12.3V on the other with the switch off and ground with the switch on. I'll pull the motor tomorrow when the sun's up and see what I can do. Is it just those 3 screws and a plug on my 98 to get it out? It never did make any squeeling noises, but I guess that still doesn't rule out dry bearings. If I can't get it to spin with carb cleaner and oil, what's one of these things run price wise from a parts house? What years will work from a junk yard? It sure is a lot easier to find pre-96 than 97+ like mine in the junk yards.

Looking in the owner's manual I didn't see one for the blower in the interior fuse panel, but just in case I pulled all of the fuses 15A and higher and they all appeared to be good, at least by flashlight observation.

Follow up: Pulled the motor today and jumped straight to the battery... Nothing. Spins freely by hand without any noise so that ruled out bearings, must have been a broken connection somewhere inside the motor. Anyways, I found one out of a 2000 model 35 miles away for $25. Swapped it in and good as new. Thanks again.

P.S. For all those who may one day find this in a search, yes those 3 tiny screws are all that hold it in, although they're a pain to get to. And the plug pulls right out of the motor. I had to loosen the A/C dryer (I think that's what it is) bracket and hold my mouth right but it should wiggle out between the dryer and the fender, just be patient. Good luck.

tnxj said:
I had to loosen the A/C dryer (I think that's what it is) bracket and hold my mouth right but it should wiggle out between the dryer and the fender, just be patient. Good luck.

That's good news. My FSM said I had to remove the accumulator (think that's what it's called) which involves discharging the AC. Hope my 00 XJ is set up the same as yours.

Yeah, I kind of wiggled it around a bit to squeeze by it, but nothing went snap pffffffffffff so I assume it is okay. It wiggled pretty easily with the bracket undone. Still a tight sqeeze though.

Just changed my blower tonight on the 89XJ

$24.95 at Advance Auto with life time warrenty...

The later model ones must take after their Mitsubishi cousins too much, Advance was like $180 for one for mine, hence the junk yard excursion.

learjets said:
Just changed my blower tonight on the 89XJ

$24.95 at Advance Auto with life time warrenty...
How well does that blow? the one in my 87 is pretty worthless. For $25 that might be great.

87manche said:
How well does that blow? the one in my 87 is pretty worthless. For $25 that might be great.

Work great, when removing fan from motor lots of carbon dust and rust came out, so tap if off over trash can or tape over cooling hole on motor. Quick job I any had to unstrap the coolent bottle and remove the two bolts that hold the coolent bottle bracket 10MM, and the three fan motor screws 8MM.
Spliced the original connector to the new fan motor and install back in.

87manche said:
Were you at the Commanche Fall outing at the Badlands this year?

Back