• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning seats

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my seats out of the xj and was wondering what would be the best thing to use to bring them back to life. The vinyl, or whatever it is, is in great shape. But the seat material, seat upright and side bolsters are in need. Any suggestions?

RugDoctor steam cleaner with upholstery attachment. Use a combination of OxyClean and
SuperClean.gif

Spray the cloth, use a scrub brush with OxyClean and get it real wet and scrub it down. Use hot water in the RugDoctor and keep rinsing with hot water until no more suds come out. The same technique will make your carpet look like new as well.

tsill said:
I pulled my seats out of the xj and was wondering what would be the best thing to use to bring them back to life. The vinyl, or whatever it is, is in great shape. But the seat material, seat upright and side bolsters are in need. Any suggestions?

Do you own or know anyone with a steamcleaner?

Back when I had cloth seats I would shampoo them and get it all out with a steam cleaner. The first time I did it the water was black............:puke: I used this little guy, did a great job.

12288771.jpg

tsill said:

Do you mean the foam itself is shot ? I had my drivers side seat rebuilt when some welds broke and they put all new foam in, much more comfortable then the stock stuff. They also fixed the broken welds, fixed some other poorly done welds and added some steel gusseting to strengthen it even more, that was almost 3 years ago, best $50 I ever spent on the XJ...
DO need seat covers though, mine are a bit worn but I may just buy wet okole covers like we got for my daughters TJ.

Foam is good. Just the cloth is dirty. Carpet is super wet too. I have slush mats that do a good job keeping the carpet dry, but once it's wet, its wet for a while. I have a fan going on the carpet as we speak and that is drying it out really well. I will try the steam cleaner route, then dry up with the fan again. Did I mention my dogs threw up all over? Mans best friend my ass!

Thanks

I've had good luck with the prestone carpet/interior cleaner I think you can get it from Wally World. Especially usefull if you don't have access to a steamcleaner which would be the best way to go but you would still need something Like a shop vac that can vac. up wet stuff if I remember correctly.

Back