• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88's with 33's

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Ive found a KILLER deal on a set of built axles for my XJ(AX-15, 4.0)....only thing is, they have 4.88's in them. This is not for a DD, but it does see a modest amount of time on the highways/roads between trails. Does anyone run 4.88s with 33s? Hows the mileage?

Jeffro600 said:
Ive found a KILLER deal on a set of built axles for my XJ(AX-15, 4.0)....only thing is, they have 4.88's in them. This is not for a DD, but it does see a modest amount of time on the highways/roads between trails. Does anyone run 4.88s with 33s? Hows the mileage?
I got 4.88's with 33's and my mileage fluctuates between 15 and 18 (the latter is on a really good day which is rare). If you don't haul too much crap (unlike me) and have no roof rack (got rid of mine) your mileage will be pretty good. Also right before I put 4.88's in my mileage wasn't the greatest either but I have never really bothered with it as it was not extremely bad so I figure if you're ahead of the game when you start you'll be ahead of the game after the swap as well.
Btw, AX15 and 33's and 4.88's rock both on road and off. Highway I can cruise up to 80mph fairly comfortably and on the trail in 4L it feels pretty nice too (although after you get spoiled with 4.88's you'll dream of a 4:1)

Heck, Jeep had 4.56's with stock tires on some XJ's. You will be geared higher than that. I wouldn't necessarily drive it 4,000 miles to Moab with that gearing, but for everyday driving it will be fine.

Jeff - I wil be running the same setup [4.88's/33's] when I lock/gear my axles... I've considered 4.56's, but living at the altitude we do, anlong with hills and wind we have 4.88's are the way to go IMO... This will also allow you to run larger tires down the road, and still have respectable performance... You say you won't go bigger - but you will... Trust me...

-Will

Jeffro600 said:
There is no doubt in my mind that i will EVENTUALLY go bigger....its only limited by my ever shrinking bank account!:eek:

Then dont hesitate on the 4.88's, I ran the same setup for awhile before I got my 35's and really enjoyed the added zip off the line, and mine is a DD.

i went 4.56's with my 33's, now i have 35's, i really wished i could have went 4.88's, but the 8.25 said nope...:mad:

mack said:
i went 4.56's with my 33's, now i have 35's, i really wished i could have went 4.88's, but the 8.25 said nope...:mad:
x2 damn pushy chrysler

go for them if it's a good deal, if the rpm's are to high then drive slower.

Personaly I like my 4.56. I have really heavy 33's which measure a bit tall and I can pull 75-80mph up all the steep hills from Rapid City to home in Billings, MT. Yeah it may shift down a bit but I like the gearing.

I love mine. Plan to drive to CO next sumer with them. Loaded down with all kinds of crap, pulling a tent trailer, roof rack 10-13 mpg. Unloded keeping it to 60-65 mph, 13-16 mpg. In the process of replacing exhaust header and tune up , we'll see what happens then.

karstic said:
Unloded keeping it to 60-65 mph, 13-16 mpg. In the process of replacing exhaust header and tune up , we'll see what happens then.
You gotta loose that rack amongst other things. I think I got about 1mpg out of loosing mine. Otherwise then that, you should be getting better mileage: If I stick in the 60-65 range I do pretty damn good, but it's hard to resist myself on the open road :D

Kejtar said:
You gotta loose that rack amongst other things. I think I got about 1mpg out of loosing mine. Otherwise then that, you should be getting better mileage: If I stick in the 60-65 range I do pretty damn good, but it's hard to resist myself on the open road :D

Like I said I'm in the process of a much needed tune up. That should help.

yeah but a cracked exhaust manifold really hurts ya

Ramsey said:
yeah but a cracked exhaust manifold really hurts ya

Thats why mine is getting replaced, among other reasons.

I've been running 4.88's and 33's for a year now on my daily driver and it's great. I still get 15 MPG just like the 31's with 3.55's. I drive 25 miles a day for work and 120 on the weekend for trips down the interstate.

I had 4.11's with my 31's and it seemed to rev kind of hi at hiway speeds. I just put on some 33's and now it seems much more like stock. The speedo is even dead on according to the GPS. I'd say 4.56 would be fine... but 4.88's might be pushing it, unless you are going bigger soon.

Back