• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help really fast

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I am stuck in CT, need to get back to RI, so your fast response would be greatly appreciated.
On the way here the car hesitated once while going in or out of 4WD, but don't remember which one.
This afternoon, it would not start.
Changed the spark plugs and in started right up. Here is what happened:
There was a lot of stuff around the holes and I used a high powered vacuum to suck it out. It was hard to pull out the wires, as my tool was at home. I bought a cheapo one from Autozone, but it was useless. Then I used channel lock plyers and it worked. On cyl #4 I tore off the boot and the cable. I NEVER pulled on the cable. Went and bought new spark plug wires, but changed the one that tore off only. I changed spark plugs one at the time.
After finishing, the car started right up, five minutes later the whole clan was in and when I put it on reverse and go back on the driveway (kinda steep...) the car died. It started again, put it in reverse, when it died again, then it would not start. I opened the hood, check stuff around, mostly if the boots are in and then the car started again, moved up about ten times up and down the steep driveway and it was fine. Went up the road and it died again. After couple of attempts, it started again, put it in first, went into the driveway and did not touch it.
I intend to change the rest of the wires, one by one in a while and see what's happening. Any other ideas, theories? I need them fast.
I forgot to mention that I had antiseize in the gap of the last spark plug and cleaned it with a paint thinner. When changing, I was turning about a quarter turn of the wrench to tighten them up. This is all.
Thanks
Boris
P.S. The old plugs were really bad...but no deposits or anything else.

Check all the wires sounds as if the coil wire is split and may be arching or grounding out to something. Check all the wires for any kind of cuts or holes. Replace them all if you can start from there. Since your there pop off the dist. cap and check inside for arching or deposits or if its cracked.

Pop the hood and turn all the lights out, look for arching as you rev it, specially around the coil area.

Replace whatever it is. If its the wires or if there is a sign of it inside the dist. cap replace cap and rotor.

Well...I called AAA after I changed the wires. When I was changing them, I noted that one of the prongs on the distributor cap was pretty corroded...
Here is the question:
Could the 4WD be the reason? Both times, the car was running fine and it started dying only after I went into 4WD. Could it be more than the ignition system?

P.S. I was going to go and get the cap and the rotor, but it died in the middle of the street after getting into 4WD.

It shouldn't unless you have a vacuum disconnect axle and with the vacuum being taken from the engine would kill the engine. But this is pretty methodical i've never heard of anything like that happening. But anything is possible. Is the XJ new or has it been neglected?

BingBing said:
It shouldn't unless you have a vacuum disconnect axle and with the vacuum being taken from the engine would kill the engine. But this is pretty methodical i've never heard of anything like that happening. But anything is possible. Is the XJ new or has it been neglected?

It is 99XJ, I had it for almost two years now and it has been well maintained. I changed all the fluids when I got it and have been changing them regularly, but fell behind the tuneup.
It is a DD, but I drive it on gravel roads and in snow, nothing more than that.
Within the past few weeks, it took longer to start (about a second as opposed to right up, like before)
Thank you for your help
Boris

Alienspecimen said:
I got full tank of gas

What do I do if there is arching?
Thanks
Boris
Did it start acting funny after your fillup? Could you have got some bad fuel that has plugged your filter or even has water in it?

langer1 said:
Did it start acting funny after your fillup? Could you have got some bad fuel that has plugged your filter or even has water in it?
Actually, you may have a point. The hiccup happened after I dove about ten miles,right before I reached my friends house. I did not think about it, because, this was a gas station in the middle of the city, where hundreds of cars fill up every day.
Thanks

Alienspecimen said:
Actually, you may have a point. The hiccup happened after I dove about ten miles,right before I reached my friends house. I did not think about it, because, this was a gas station in the middle of the city, where hundreds of cars fill up every day.
Thanks
Most of the time that don't make any difference.
What happens often is if the fuel truck is there filling the tanks, it stirs up the dirt in the bottom of the tank.

Back