• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd and 4wd AX15's... different?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I did some searching but didn't come up with a definite answer. I need to know what the differences are between a 4wd AX15 and a 2wd AX15. I'm looking at a really good deal on a 2wd '91 Sport model, with a 5-speed AX15. I want to do a "body swap" with '87 4 door 5-speed (Peugeot crap). Basically put my axles, lift parts, and transfer case into the 2wd rig.

I've already taken care of the t-case input problem, have a line on a 23 spline input for my t-case, or I'll just buy a later 23 spline if that doesn't work out.

Can I just unbolt the 2wd tail cone on the AX15 that's in the rig, and bolt up my transfer case, or am I way out in left field here? What's involved in making a "2wd" AX15 into a "4wd" AX15? After searching it seems some people say the 2wd has a longer tail shaft, and some say they are the same. Can someone who knows the real answer fill me in?

I need to know this to make a decision on whether I want to drive 2 hours to look at the 2wd rig, or if I should pass it up for something different.

Essentially correct.

Just about any transmission with a 2WD/4WD option will show differences between the two.

The 2WD output shaft or mainshaft is generally longer for the 2WD version, requiring a swap to convert to 4WD.

The tailshaft housing is also different, since the transfer case mounts to it. Th 4WD tailshaft housing is also typically (and correspondingly) shorter, and will have a bolt pattern on it to which the transfer case attaches.

It is possible to mount a "divorced" transfer case with an intermediate shaft, but you will lose a fair armount of articulation when the driveline gets shorter, and you'll have an extra driveshaft to attend to and mounting the transfer case ges significantly tougher (since it doesn't get bolted to the transmission, you'll probably have to fab up another crossmember for it, and somehow to mount the transfer case to the crossmember.)

My advice? Either pass, or see if you can source the conversion parts before you go, and factor the cost of the parts into what you're paying and whatever inconvenience you'll be dealing with. It would, however, be a good time to reabuild/reseal the transmission, while you're converting it...

5-90

Back