• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

measuring for control arms

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
right now im setting at about 3 inches in the front of my jeep. The plan is to buy the 4.5 in ZJ coils to step it up to 5.5 inches in the front. As of now im running stock control arms, and the ride is pretty decent. I know im going to need new arms. The question is how do i go about measuring how long of an arm ill need, so i can order the springs and the arms at the same time. Ohh and im wanting to get some adjustables, is that somethng where any adjustable will work or do i need to know lift height and what not. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks

scott

Use drop brackets for the control arms, at 5.5" or your ride will be very harsh due to xtreme control arm angles.

Control Arm Lengths

LIFT HEIGHT LCAs UCAs
Stock 15.75" 15.00"
2" 15.92" 14.88"
3" 16.09" 14.92"
4" 16.33" 15.03"
4½" 16.47" 15.11"
5" 16.62" 15.21"
6" 16.97" 15.44"
7" 17.36" 15.74"
8" 17.81" 16.09"
9" 18.30" 16.50"
10" 18.82" 16.96"

Last edited:
JKS makes adj's LCA's, RE has them, and a bunch of others....

Skullvarian said:
Use drop brackets for the control arms, at 5.5" or your ride will be very harsh due to xtreme control arm angles.
would this be unsafe, or would it just make it ride a little rougher. I would do long arms, i really like the TNT setup, but they are a little out of my price range at the moment. I want to fab something up since ill be getting a welder pretty soon, but i dont know if i would trust my self to make something like that.

first and foremost (just like you said) until you gain the fab skills don't build your own long arms, i'm sure you knew that but i had to say it. i have ridden in an xj with 4.5 and short arms and it sucked as far as ride quality...i would defenitely recomment drop brackets if you go this high with short arms.

why not just run what you got until you can afford some long arms?

Mike

TheManch said:
why not just run what you got until you can afford some long arms?
well i have this disease, called inchitis. Its overtaking my body. JK im getting some shackels to het some more flex out of the back, and im already sitting ass high. So i want something to level it out. Maybe ill get a credit card and buy that TNT kit. Cause quite frankly i dont want to spend money on drop brackets, only to move to long arms later on, and also because of the loss of ground clearence with drop brackets. It sucks be 19 and broke.

it sucks more to be 18 and broke and have a stock zj....haha

inchitis is the best diease ever!

but anywho i see your point on not buying the drop brackets....now the question arises of what long arm kit to buy?

Mike

TheManch said:
it sucks more to be 18 and broke and have a stock zj....haha

inchitis is the best diease ever!

but anywho i see your point on not buying the drop brackets....now the question arises of what long arm kit to buy?

Mike
TNT, as soon as i get the money. Oh and the jeep has met the Sawzall on more than one occasion

Back