• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Choosing Right Hi-Flow Cat

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting to get really confused on which hi-flow cat I need. I have a full 2.5" exhaust so I know I need a 2.5". Other than that, I am clueless. This is for my 2000 XJ.

I am looking at the Magnaflow Hi-flow cats on Ebay from the seller performancepeddler, and he pretty much sells them all for around $57.

I dont know if I need a single sensor, or a dual sensor, or with an air tube, without an air tube!!!

If you guys could, help me find the Part # I need.

Thank you!

EDIT: I do not live in California and I know all the rules and laws about switching the cat out before a certain amount of time and if it is not damaged

I just put a Magnaflo on my 95. I think the determining factor is if its OBD1 or OBD2, My 95 has only one O2 sensor and no air tube, I really dont know about the later years. Look under the hood at the build/emissions sticker for the desigination. Dont trust the idiots at Summit or the others. They typically dont know shit other than how to sell things you dont need.

I'm redoing all of my exhaust from the cat. I have purchased from performancepeddler several times before. Great business, very fast shipping. Of course, a couple years ago they were selling the MagnaFlow and Carsound Cats for $37 each. But I am going to buy again from them next month.

Anyways, for the 2.5" exhaust, you need the #94036. It has the single O2 sensor bung in it. Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...emQQcategoryZ33629QQitemZ8021128428QQtcZphoto

GottaBeJeep said:
I'm redoing all of my exhaust from the cat. I have purchased from performancepeddler several times before. Great business, very fast shipping. Of course, a couple years ago they were selling the MagnaFlow and Carsound Cats for $37 each. But I am going to buy again from them next month.

Anyways, for the 2.5" exhaust, you need the #94036. It has the single O2 sensor bung in it. Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...emQQcategoryZ33629QQitemZ8021128428QQtcZphoto

Thank you!

I just purchased it now...

Ghetto2315 said:
I'm starting to get really confused on which hi-flow cat I need. I have a full 2.5" exhaust so I know I need a 2.5". Other than that, I am clueless. This is for my 2000 XJ.

EDIT: I do not live in California and I know all the rules and laws about switching the cat out before a certain amount of time and if it is not damaged

Just an FYI. Some High Flows may not pass NJ emissions. I've tried a couple of times using a Randon Technology unit and was hit with high NOX each time. I research the problem when it first hit and (if I recall this correctly) it was determined that the RT unit was a stage II cat whereas OE is stage III. I think it had something to do the high flow not burning NOX effectively.

I keep a stock cat in storage and when I fail using the RT cat, I swap the standard unit and pass without problems.

Kent :)

Oops, neglected to mention on a 2000 that is OBD II. You should require two O2 sensors. I would think the first would be in your Y-tube and the second after the cat. However, I haven't actually seen the configuration on a 96+ (which is when OBD II became required), so I'm not 100% sure if this configuration is correct.

Kent :flipoff:

xj4fun said:
Oops, neglected to mention on a 2000 that is OBD II. You should require two O2 sensors. I would think the first would be in your Y-tube and the second after the cat. However, I haven't actually seen the configuration on a 96+ (which is when OBD II became required), so I'm not 100% sure if this configuration is correct.

Kent :flipoff:

What is the difference between 02 sensors and bungs or air tubes?

GottaBeJeep posted a Ebay link, which only has In/Out Single O2 Boss

Did I purchase the wrong one??

Ghetto2315 said:

GottaBeJeep posted a Ebay link, which only has In/Out Single O2 Boss

the bung is just a nut welded onto the cat, or exhaust pipe, the bung is what the sensor screws into. about some kind of air tube, you have got me.

Ghetto2315 said:

As LoneRanger already explained a bung is, simply a nut welded over a hole drilled through a material. A threaded device (in this case an O2 sensor) then screws into the nut.

The two O2 sensors send different strength electrical signals to the ECU based on the various gas contents passing the sensor. The 02 in the Y-pipe contains more of the raw exhaust gases then the second 02. The second 02 (if mounted behind the cat) should send a weaker signal as the cat has further reduced emissions. The ECU expects a range of currents from these 02 sensors that is mapped into the computer. If the range of either (or both) 02 sensors exceeds the acceptable mapping for that 02 sensor, a DTF will be tripped and your engine light should be tripped.

Perhaps someone with a greater understanding of this will be kind enough to jump in on this.

The term 'air tube' (to my knowledge) is normally used on describe an intake device attached to the intake manifold.

Kent :sunshine:

Back