• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flare Wrench.....SAE or Metric and others

wil4thril

NAXJA Forum User
I read the threads and found a maybe 3/8 for the brake lines. This would be really easy to figure out if my 99 XJ was not in the north Atlantic dodging iceburgs on its way to Iceland. I am still here in the states trying to round up all the tools/small parts I might need to keep my never ending project of the all-purpose XJ from screeching to a halt. There will be a very limited supply of both where I am going. Plus at $25 a set the flare wrenchs are not cheap. Any thoughts on other gotcha tools/small parts would be awesome. I have been running XJ/MJ's for 10 years so play nice.

will
86 MJ Stock/99 XJ AW4/231 3'' 31's and goodies

Flare nut wrenches have to be a perfect fit to work,this is not a tool to but at AZ,CSK or HF!

wil4thril said:
I read the threads and found a maybe 3/8 for the brake lines. This would be really easy to figure out if my 99 XJ was not in the north Atlantic dodging iceburgs on its way to Iceland. I am still here in the states trying to round up all the tools/small parts I might need to keep my never ending project of the all-purpose XJ from screeching to a halt. There will be a very limited supply of both where I am going. Plus at $25 a set the flare wrenchs are not cheap. Any thoughts on other gotcha tools/small parts would be awesome. I have been running XJ/MJ's for 10 years so play nice.

will
86 MJ Stock/99 XJ AW4/231 3'' 31's and goodies
For my 97/98 I got a 3/8" flare wrench for the brake lines.

I have had ZERO problems with mine from HF. They have been used on about 15 different vehicles and have not stripped one nut.

Im happy with my craftsman flare nut wrenches...

mine as well is 3/8" on the front and back brake lines...

other tools: Crescent (adjustable) wrench, 2 screw drivers, torx, basic ratchet and sockets...

living in a dorm causes me to carry every tool i own with me in my jeep at all times... - including a 30 and 36mm socket, torque wrench, pliers, pipe wrench, lock ring pliers, pickle forks, everything - and ive found uses for things like that when ive been out..

Thanks everyone for the good info....I am a Craftsman buyer myself....break it....get a new one....Thanks again....

Back