• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering mod needed,some help too...

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i needed to push the front axle ( stock dana 30 ) forward 2.5 inches to fit the new drive shaft and now the steering stabolizer bolt ( axle side ) is being hit by the steering linkage where the steering links come to gether. the question is how to mod the setup with minimal time and cost so it will be wheelable pro-tem untill i can go for the whole cross over hi steere setup? re bend the linkage or cut and fab a bow in the conection point?

ideas with pics or good writeups overly welcomed, no matter how advanced fab it is just not costly.

thanks

arnt' you running into probs with the trie rubbing on the front fender well with it being 2.5" fwd. why not shorten the shaft and leave everything else alone.

what suspension are you using that you can move all your links fwd 2.5" without weakening them?

Ok first off what is your wheelbase measurment??? You should be around 101" from center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle.. Also how much lift are you running? I have found that in some 5~6" lifts with the front drop brackets or long arms the steering hits the stabalizer bolt... I have removed the bolt and relocated the stabalizer more than once to QUICK FIX only... You should seriously look into doing a teraflex high steer knuckle or the WJ steering conversion if this is the case... But first you need to answer the two questions...

id remove the stabilizer...

havent run one since July and have no issues...

tealcherokee said:
ummm, if you need to do that, the drive shaft is too long
not quite, the 1985 XJ has a shorter front D/S with the ax5 trany and the np207 xfer case and the KN D/S

BJ-666 said:
arnt' you running into probs with the trie rubbing on the front fender well with it being 2.5" fwd. why not shorten the shaft and leave everything else alone.

what suspension are you using that you can move all your links fwd 2.5" without weakening them?
not really, the front axle was pulled back when i lifted it with the short arms, with the LA system I fabricated i just moved it to where it is centered in the neutral position and at full stuff ( tire strait ) i have about an inch clearance before i do the triming
and i will be triming to the flair mark.

and by the way i am running 7.5" in the front and 8+" in the rear, not too much stock left.

XgeekstarX said:
uhh wouldn't it save you lot of time, money, and headache just taking the driveshaft to a shop and getting them to shorten it however much you need?
well time wise it only took about 4 to 6 hours to do the axle shift with the fab of the radious arm setup and cross member/ trany mount and mabi $50 in scrap materials as apposed to $75 for the DS, and $70 to have it shortened, and then another $40 to balance it and i would still have the short arm set up and binding issues to deal with. now i have the LA radious arms with massive travel a double cardan DS ( $75 ) and only minor rubbing of the steering on the stabilizer bolt.

besides, its too late, but i still need steering solutions. could some one post some pics of a home made hi steer/ cross over steering setup?

if your looking for hi-steer now just use that handy search feature and if your still having trouble with the steering stabilizer take it off.

bj-666 said:
if your looking for hi-steer now just use that handy search feature and if your still having trouble with the steering stabilizer take it off.
not really, just throwing it out there.

2.5" seems like alot, even going from drop brackets to a long arm. Did you make the LA's adjustable?
my lowers are 36 3/4" and the uppers are 18" center to center. The LAs are centered on the cross member. I Just pushed the axle forward 3/4" a couple weeks ago. The limiting factor on pushing forward more for me was the drag link/tie rod connection on the inverted T high steer set up. My point is going to high steer may not fix the issue. Pushing 2.5" could also bind the track bar. You might want to consider trimming more to fit. Find a happy medium and cut to fit.

loaded01a.jpg

P.S. oh by the way, my new wheel base is 104" center axle to center axle

yes the LA set are adjustable ( longer from there only )

Back