• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying new carrier d30 for regearing?

Jeeppie

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to sort out which carrier I need to get to regear the D30 3.07 front to 4.10. The options and brands are kind of overwhelming to me. At some point I want to put a locker in once I have decided which one. Right now I just need to get the regearing done and am ready to order the parts.
Help me chose the right carrier.

Thanks.

depending on which locker you chose, you won't need a carrier. detroit arb etc....
if you go w/ a luchbox locker something like a lockright, powertrax ect...then you need a carrier, as far as what brand, dana spicer is always been good to me

Then all you need is a new carrier. if all you want to do is just the gears for now.
if you want to put in a locker then most lockers will replace the carrier as well as all limited slip diffs. there is a handfull of so called "lunchbox" lockers that fit inside that new carrier and they replace just the spider gears. so either bit the bullet now and get a full carrier locker, or go with an open diff and a LB locker later down the road. FYI most LB lockers will be a little bit noisier. The PT no-slip is very quiet but costs almost as much as a detroit locker.

And another FYI, Dana spicer is the only "brand" you can get for a new case.

I am replacing the rear to a 8.8 which is going to have an Auburn Ected. Maybe the best $olution is to put an Auburn in the front now, instead of later and don't spend money on the regearing. I have been reading the threads on front lockers and one issue came up regarding handling on ice. I don't like to sacrifice the ice handling when I put lockers up front. This is the reason that I thought of not putting lockers in the front. The Auburn may be a good solution right?

Jeeppie said:
I am replacing the rear to a 8.8 which is going to have an Auburn Ected. Maybe the best $olution is to put an Auburn in the front now, instead of later and don't spend money on the regearing. I have been reading the threads on front lockers and one issue came up regarding handling on ice. I don't like to sacrifice the ice handling when I put lockers up front. This is the reason that I thought of not putting lockers in the front. The Auburn may be a good solution right?
The non selectable lockers are not engaged until power is applied to the pinion.
Ice and snow won't matter unless you're in 4wd.
Even still, the front end is quite managable in adverse conditions.

Wouldn't it cause some funny things to happen if I were in a curve and on ice and I put some power on? I live on a mountain with a steep hill and with lots of curvey unlevel dirt/gravel roads and we do get ice storms here in NW Arkansas. Ice and snow is an issue in the winter.

Hell, a good LS could lock up on ice as easily as a locker.
As with any worthwhile mod, it's something you'll have to get used to.
Hardly anything would be seamless except for an open diff or an ARB type locker.

Jeeppie said:
Wouldn't it cause some funny things to happen if I were in a curve and on ice and I put some power on? I live on a mountain with a steep hill and with lots of curvey unlevel dirt/gravel roads and we do get ice storms here in NW Arkansas. Ice and snow is an issue in the winter.

It'll find the 'low side' of the street.

Is the axle a disco or non-disco??? makes a huge difference when choosing a locker.

It will have disco's. I am surprised that it would matter. The XJ will be a daily driver with a 3,5" RE super ride lift and Traxus MT 31" tires.

I think he's refering to the D30 vacuum axle disconnect that came in many pre-92 XJs. Usually those with a 231 case would have the vac-disco axle. Jeeps with the 242 got the non-disco version that remained through the later years.

With a functioning axle disconnect, either vacuum or cable switched (and an inexpensive lunchbox locker) one can shift between 3 and 4 wheel drive... however the "third wheel" will always be the driver side.

I despised mine, and converted it to a one-piece inner shaft after one season.

it all depends on which locker you choose. and which locker depends on what size tire yor using. i just regeared my d30 to 4.10's and i used a right lock locker. i have been told since im running 32 to 33 in. tires (and i dont plan on going bigger) that the right lock would work fine. i f you are runnin larger tires than that you may wanna consider a detroit. and the detroit lockers come in the carriers , i belive . right lock you will have to order the carrier separate and assemble you locker very easy though

Back