• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It Wont Start

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have serched,So lets get that out of the way.

Heres the story:

I had smoke come from the dash last tuesday.It would run but I had to hold the key all the way forward and hold it there.This was the only way it would run.After I got it to start I had to have some one disconect the battery so I wouldn't burn out the starter.

I pulled the dash all the way appart I found a lot of wires that were toast.The brown 12gauge wire that comes from the stearing collumn was burnt and turned green from corrosion. This in turn melted the red 12gauge wire fron the same place in the collumn(did not burn through)I just went ahead and cut the green 14gauge wire(starter) and wired it to a push button.

The other torched wires were on the head,tail,dome,interior lighting.This quit working the night befor the rest of it happened.All of those wires are cut and wired into switchs,head,tail,dome,interior lighting.

I finnished the wiring up last night and befor I put the dash together I started the xj via push button.It starteds and then died, fuel leak.

i fixed the leak it was a bad crack in the regulator.I installed a rail and regulator off a 89 the injectors are new.Now I put the dash together and checked and rechecked all the new and old wires,ALL GOOD.

It wont start,it has spark,It has fuel pressure,But it just cranks.

What could be gooing wrong with my jeep now.

littlebluexj said:
do i use an amp meter to check this.And you mean the big 12guage wires right
You can use a volt meter or a test light never a AMP meter.

Orange, Yellow, and Brown, wires, on the ignition switch.

the yellow and orenge and brown wires i am talking about is the ones that are found on the right side of the streering collumn down under the dash.I cant get my steering collumn cover apart to get to the ignition.Is those the wires though.Volt meter I have and will use.

Can I just pull the injector rail and injectors out and leave them connected to.turn car over and see if they sprey gas to check and see if they are getting the power to the injectors.

What am i looking to check by testing the wires you told me to check??
Sorry stupid question

littlebluexj said:
the yellow and orenge and brown wires i am talking about is the ones that are found on the right side of the streering collumn down under the dash.I cant get my steering collumn cover apart to get to the ignition.Is those the wires though.Volt meter I have and will use.

Can I just pull the injector rail and injectors out and leave them connected to.turn car over and see if they sprey gas to check and see if they are getting the power to the injectors.

What am i looking to check by testing the wires you told me to check??
Sorry stupid question
Only if you don't want to live to see 19.

Can I just cut them from the igintion system and wire them to a 50 amp switch I have like 10 swithches but I would only use one.

If they don't have 12volts what does that mean?

I checked the foltage today and found out that when the key is turned to the on position the yellow and orange wires have power and the brown wire does not, when the key is turned to the run position the brown wire still has no power ''what should I do''

the brown wire is burnt and corroded at the base of where it plugs inot the steering column, so I can't fix it there

HELP QUICK, I HAVE SCHOOL MONDAY

Back