• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp guage question

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my motor in my 89 xj and at start up it read 0 degrees due to a bad sender so i replaced, now guage reads 230 when warm right on red line area of temp,everything is good to go,i used a dig theromoeter and it tested at 195-205 deg. is it possible guage went bad over the motor swap too? the sender went bad over sawp so... I dont feel safe to drive yet .any ways to be sure im not really overheating? i did bleed the coolant system so theres no air..and thermostat opens/closes and new water pump and blows good heat from heater and 130 compression in all cylinders..need thoughts....

Check your ground from the head to the firewall.

ground good tried two different senders and same result. is it maybe the guage inside or could it be another sensor in-line that went bad? It was fine before i swaped so the sender went bad over the swap is it possible for the guage to go too???Wierd shi%

josh89xj said:
ground good tried two different senders and same result. is it maybe the guage inside or could it be another sensor in-line that went bad? It was fine before i swaped so the sender went bad over the swap is it possible for the guage to go too???Wierd shi%
Ground the wire to the sensor, the gauge should read 0 un-grounded it should it should be fully to the right. Also make sure the threads are clean on the sensor and never use teflon tape, because that's the ground for the sensor.

Sorry to hijack.
I took my cluster apart recently to clean the guage faces, I moved the needle. Where should it be when the engine is cold, key on, not running. I just need it to be approximate. Right now it says hot is like 130.

87manche said:
Sorry to hijack.
I took my cluster apart recently to clean the guage faces, I moved the needle. Where should it be when the engine is cold, key on, not running. I just need it to be approximate. Right now it says hot is like 130.
Read my post #5

I have cleaned the sensor threads previously.
It also behaves perfectly fine, and if I ground it then it will go left, if disconnected it will go to the far right. The problem is that I moved the needle, and I don't know where the grounded position should be on the guage. 1/4" past the left mark? I used my multimeter thermocouple and the t-stat housing read approx. 200 degrees with the Thermo open. Should I just heat it up, then move the guage to the 200 mark and call it close enough?

87manche said:
I have cleaned the sensor threads previously.
It also behaves perfectly fine, and if I ground it then it will go left, if disconnected it will go to the far right. The problem is that I moved the needle, and I don't know where the grounded position should be on the guage. 1/4" past the left mark? I used my multimeter thermocouple and the t-stat housing read approx. 200 degrees with the Thermo open. Should I just heat it up, then move the guage to the 200 mark and call it close enough?
That would be good enough for me, but here is the sensor readings in OHMS.

tempohms.jpg

josh89xj said:
I just replaced my motor in my 89 xj and at start up it read 0 degrees due to a bad sender so i replaced,
Where is the sender unit located? I also have an '89 XJ. I know the gauge is good, because the needle will swing all the way to the max value when cranking and return back to 0 when started (same as with key on). I though it was on the left side of radiator -- disconnected the connector and jumped it across -- no change in gauge reading -- it must be somewhere else then. Thanks.

drifto77 said:
Just a guess but....
Back of the head, drivers side??????? (top)
Thats where it is on my 91.
Hmm, do you have a picture of it by any chance? I don't seem to see anything like that on my '89 Xj.

Back