• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Input Please (freakin tire post)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to hear from people who have run Pro Comp M/T's recently / people who run Cooper discovery S/T's or STT's / Or Maxxis Bighorns. There is a tire shop down the street that stocks all these in 33x12.50 for really good prices. I would like to hear about Rock / Mud performance... road noise... durability... and how well they hold balance. (please)

discovererSTT.jpg
discovererST.jpg

See Bighorn H E R E

I have read many posts. I think maybe two people have commented on the S/T's in the past. A few on the STT's and none on the big horns. Many of the Pro Comp posts are old too.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
when i first lifted my jeep 4ish years ago i ran the ProComps, 2 sets actually, and loved them... good all around imo even though many will disagree... no experience with the others...

i just got a great deal on bfg at's 31 inch which may be the best all around tire available... $104 each... just another tire to consider

no experience with either one, I've always ran goodyear mtr's. discount tire sipes them for me for free and the've done well on the rocks out here

running 33x12.50 stts and have run the st before. never ran the st on rocks but it has to be one of hte best all terrain tires out there. the stts work good. i tore one sidewall, but that happens, they work good on rocks and on the road. if you get em i would sipe em as it would probably make them an even better tire. might get some of the new stt's next as there pattern looks much better than the big lugs of the older stt. i didnt get a lot of mileage out of em because of lockers, liking to smoke em offroad, and having a jacked up alignment for quite a while. my brother ran them in 31s and had them for probably 3 years and still looked good when he sold his truck.

I ended up going with el-cheapo MT's but, I really liked the looks of these:
Discover STT

discovererSTT2.jpg

There are two STT's. The Radial STT's are pictured in the 1st post.
The pic above is just STT. They are both radial tires. Coopers new design I guess.

I ran 32/11.50-15 Pro-Comp MT's after I first put on my lift. I bought them when they had buy 3, get 1 free, which made them a good deal. I used them in Moab this spring and they seemed to do well. What I didn't like was the lack of any sidewall tread. In the rocks, at low air presure, I worried about tearing a sidewall and they showed some scuffing. The tire also seemed to wear more quickly when compared to the 33/12.50-15 MTR's I used at the Fall Fling this year, and I was much harder on the MTR's than I was with the Pro-Comps. The road noice difference is negligable, maybe leaning towards the Pro-Comp.

Basically, I won't be buying Pro-Comp tires ever again, but thats for me and the type of wheeling I do and plan to do.

Greg

my father has a pair of the st's on the back of his 2wd f-150 for the winter, combined with a few cinderblocks in back, you won't spin a tire in the snow unless you try to. has gotten us out of our drivweway in about a foot of snow without too much trouble (uphill).

on the road they have a whirring sound to them, but nothing annoying.
grip better on the dry (and wet) road than the stock bfg's the truck came with

if i ever took his truck offroad i would be dead, so i can't help you with how they perform offroad.

I had a procrap MT blow out on the expressway, they were decent offroad up til that point (daily driver at the time). The part the really peeved me about tehm was thier customer service. So I will never run anything with thier name on it ever again. Do a search on yahoo or any other search engine and you will not like the results you get as far as ProComp goes, they seem to have many many blowouts.

one other thing, if you care about road noise then dont get the stt's these things are pretty loud. they just blend in with the exhaust leaks and airleaks and driveline noise on my jeep so no biggie, but if your jeep is still nice you might not like it

I run the 35x12.50 procomps mt's without a complaint. wearing extremely well really but I do rotate them reg. since they are on my DD. Seem to be working great in all types of terrain. Abused the crap out of them at Fall Fling, Coloradofest etc. , I did get a little chunking but thats to be expected in the rocks. I would not hesitate to buy another set.

I only mention road noise in my questions because I have a set of Maxxis Radial Buckshots currently in the 32x11.50 flavor and I practically need ear plugs on the street. That's no exaggeration. I can't get the radio loud enough to hear over the tires, and I won't ride around my 1 and a half year old in there anymore because of the noise. I have had Swamper TSL's that weren't this loud.

Anyway... I don't want to go the uber-cheap route again but I can't swing BFG's right now either (although that's what I really want). I have them on my CJ so I know all about them. So I'm left with finding something as close to that as possible that's less $$.

I've had STT's on the CJ and I liked them, but I didn't remember them being noisy (so thanks for the info Ramsey).
The ST's looked pretty good for an A/T and I'm still considering them, but I prefer an M/T.
The Pro-Comps are looking all right. Lots of folks say they weren't bad but probably won't buy them again. That sentiment is repeated in many search posts I have seen.

Thanks so far, and I would like to hear more about the ST's and the Pro Comps if anyone else has more to add.

another note harvo. the stt's are VERY quiet compared to buckshot maxxis radials. i killed a dunlop once and got one of those for 10$ to replace it, and that one tire was loud enough to drive me nuts. its not so much the decibels, but the actual pitch that it creates is awful.

if you want an mt, your not gonna be happy with an at no matter how good it is.

the stt's are VERY quiet compared to buckshot maxxis radials

Thanks! Good info. Yeah the pitch drives me crazy. I actually aired down to 22 PSI for the street just to change the frequency of the noise the tires made.

Since you are from the South like me, you can answer this one too... does the absence of any siping on the lugs of the STT make it handle poorly in the rain or on the rocks.?

It was almost 10 years ago that I ran those STT's. All I remember about them is that they did really well in deep snow at Tellico once, and really poorly on guardrail at Tellico once. They were my first M/Ts ever.

I got ST's on my XJ here in England, the jeep does 40k road miles per year and i've had the ST's on for around 20k miles, they still look pretty good with just a little wear on the outside edges of the fronts from driving like a dick round bends :). soundwise they are fine, a little noisier than road tyres but still way quiter than most of the rattles my jeep makes anyway.... I am impressed with there wet weather ability (considering they are off road tyres)

OFFroad I also rate them highly, I am not doing the crazy rock sh!t that you doods are throwing your junk at but have still put them through there paces on our teeny tiny English lanes ;-) , they have kept pace with full mud tyres in some pretty boggy conditions and also handle very well on loose gravel and rock strewn tracks, they did some rock steps in wales with hardly a spin! they also seem pretty good getting out of ruts, and in this department seem to perform better than budget full mud tyres (I haven't tested them against premium mud tyres)

hope this view from across the pond is helpfull

i have 35 x 15 x 12.5 and definatly better than my thornb irds... quiet and i like em off road for what i do down here in ga...i remember someone saying they were made in the same factory as cooper tires...so they have a base with cooper and i think they are great tires...wear great and awesome on the road and have held up for me off road...maybe i just dont push em as hard as i should...good prices and my next set will be another procomp

Harvo said:
Thanks! Good info. Yeah the pitch drives me crazy. I actually aired down to 22 PSI for the street just to change the frequency of the noise the tires made.

Since you are from the South like me, you can answer this one too... does the absence of any siping on the lugs of the STT make it handle poorly in the rain or on the rocks.?

It was almost 10 years ago that I ran those STT's. All I remember about them is that they did really well in deep snow at Tellico once, and really poorly on guardrail at Tellico once. They were my first M/Ts ever.

no siping and the 12.50 does make for not the best traction in the rain. going from a 10.50 to a 12.50 i could feel the difference. i had planned to groove them but never got around to it. aired down to 10-12psi and they bite pretty good in rocks. i've got so many tires from the same store that they give me a good discount which is another reason i run em. next tires, simply because of the cost, will probably be retreads. or either some cooper a/ts and a bias swamper trail tire. once more, if you get these definetly sipe/groove them.

I've been running the STTs since June with decent results. After approx 9000 road miles, 3/4 are in decent shape, but one has worn really fast/ugly thanks to worn out steering, hubs, track bar. Fixing the junk and rotating a little sooner probably would have avoided that but :dunno: too late to worry.

I bought mine locally so I could get a convenient road-hazard warranty...

They are not the most confidence-inspiring tires on wet roads, but few MTs of this style are (unsiped large tread blocks) They are pretty loud as well. Not Swamper loud, but still.

I've used them off road at Tellico 2x (@13psi) and Uwharrie yesterday (@lazy 32 psi) with pretty decent results. The sidewalls have held up fine... so far, and the tread blocks have resisted chunking.

Overall feelings is that the Cooper STT is a decent tire for the money... Not outstanding in any way, but a decent compromise for someone wanting/needing a MT that will see a fair bit of street use . Mine are a little noisy, and are not on track to have great tread life (my guess will be 25,000) are the two primary faults

Back