• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front suspension Q's

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be taking my 86 in for inspection next week so I can finnally get tags on it hopefully and need to be ready to decide what to do if any of the front end parts won't pass.
The parts I'm wondering about are the UCA's, LCA's and the track bar (ball joints are pretty new). Everything is at stock height now, but I plan on 2.5" this fall with an OME lift. From my understanding the OME will not come with new LCA's just a TB relocating bracket.
SO... here's the question, if the TB needs replaced should I just replace with stock or should I get an adjustable one? Same with the LCA's. I just need some insight so I don't buy new parts more than once.... I may go an extra inch with spacers and a AAL sometime in the future if the 2.5" isn't enough for me and I decide to go to 32's after the 31's wear out.
Thanks,
Mike B.

To go 2.5" you don't need control arms, so I wouldn't worry about that.

At that amount of lift, the axle will shift about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the driver's side. You can relocate the axle end to compensate, but if you need a track bar anyway I think it's much better to get a Rusty's adjustable now. Costs a bit more than stock (about 2x), but then you're ready for later boosts. For now just get the bar for the stock frame bracket. Later, you can upgrade that for the heavy-duty frame bracket if you add lift or get into extreme wheeling.

Rusty's bar uses a standard, replaceable tie rod end on the frame end, so unless you bend it around a rock it's the last trak bar you'll have to buy. The factory ones are one piece, so when the rod end goes you have to replace the entire assembly.

You will find an improvement in your steering by changing out the UCA and LCA bushings. You can buy new control arms with bushings installed. Think quadratec has LCAs for $20 and UCAs for $13 but check at your local parts store they should be available.

You may also want to replace the front sway bar bushings and and the end link rubber components.

Also if you plan on lifting and running larger tires I'd recommend a steering box brace. Rusty's and Mountain Offroad (MORE) sell them. I ended up uins the MORE version since it did not have a space conflict with my Aux trans cooler. It took the movement out of my steering wheel when crossing RR tracks or hitting a pot hole. I think every XJ should have one.

If you do all that work on the front don't forget to change out the rear leaf spring bushings and shackles. I know it smart money to just buy new shackles than try to replace the bushings in the ones you have. My local garage had to go to the dealer to get the leaf spring bushings, no one else in town could get them. There also a rear sway bar you may want to replace the bushings. I could not find rear endlinks at my local carquest, they did not show in the catalogue.

If you do the control arms you will need an alignment unless you want to wear out your current tires so you can buy larger ones :)

Martin

Thanks guys, I'm told these guys at the inspection station really like to pick on the track bars... so if they do I'll get a new adjustable one. The CA bushings and sway bar "look" OK, I'll see when they get it up on the lift better though. Thanks for the suggestion on the steering brace... good idea.
Thanks,
Mike B.

Back