• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken motor mount bolts

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
Long term - Permanent fix

I added my Jeep to the list who has sheared the three passenger side bolts off the block. It happened going up a sand hill in the Badlands. Also found the drivers side rubber mount trashed, so I guess the extra movement from the left mount over stressed the right side....

The upper aft bolt casing in the block is damaged so I'm going to fabricate additional brackets catching threaded pads on either side of mount, and considering welding a stud in the upper aft location.

Does any one have experience in a good long-term fix?

I've already got the grade 8 bolts.

94XJ AW4 3inch lift 31-10.5x15 BFG AT

Sure do. I did this when I built the stroker so I could haul ass and jump it without worrying about breaking the bolts and/or ruining the block.

There are two bolt bosses on each side of the block that are perfectly positioned to add a brace to the motor mount. This makes a better structure for the mount plus giving five bolts per side

Drivers side
standard.jpg

Passenger side
standard.jpg

Goatman,
I am going to use your idea but also catch the bolt hole aft of the right hand mount as well.....

Did you weld to the factory mount? How did you get the varing "deck" heights to line up?

Bolted it up, then welded. :)

I had the advantage of doing this with the engine on an engine stand. It would be MUCH more difficult to do with the engine in the vehicle. It was a very simple modification. I used some big angle iron I had laying around, cut it, drilled the holes for the block side, bolted it all up to the block, welded part way around, unbolted it and finished the welding, adding one gusset to the angle iron.

Much stronger, and good peace of mind.

I need to know what is the size of those bolts cause i need to buy em and i call the dealer but they do not give me the info.

3/8 Dia, 16 threads per inch, 1 and 1/8 long.

or

.375 inch - 16 threads per inch and 1.125 inchs long.

MORE makes new brackets for the block. Someone else does also, I've been searching but can't find them.
Anyone else know off hand? May not be released for sale yet. rensing

Here is the More mounts I installed a while ago, T&Js makes some also but they modify the old ones(core charge), which isn't as good a design as the MORE IMO. I like Goats design as well.

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

Back