• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank not filling completely

60thAnivrsryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched and I found a couple threads on this but all were pertaining to older XJ's and the solutions were not going in the direction I think my problem needs. I have a 2001 by the way. I have had a problem since I bought it and it is finally getting to me enough to ask about it on here. Everytime I get gas the pump shuts off at about 3 or 4 gallons from a full tank. Even when the guage gets down to empty I can still only put about 15 gallons in it before it shuts it off. Then I have to barely hold the trigger and slowly trickle in the last few gallons. I think the problem has somthing to do with the emisson system and the filler tube or somthing cause I got a code 0456 (small emission leak) awhile back. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Problem MAY not be the tank,is there a spring like device on the gas nozzle?If the spring is not collapsed to a certain point the pump will not operate properly...could be the problem or could not...

I don't think its the pump because it does it everytime i get gas no matter where its at or what. Actually its only not done it like 2 or 3 times in the 15 months I've owned the jeep.

Does it happen at the same pump or is it random....there are sensors on the gas handles,could still be the fault of the pump...I'm takin a wild azz guess here...You try runnin a piece of rubber hose down the filler neck...then snake a piece of stiff wire through the hose to see if somebody might have stuck somthin in there?I know that sounds stupid but that was all I could think of..

Mine does the same thing but its all the time.Whenever I go to fill up it will click off early.But if I stand there and try to trickle it in I can get about 4 more gallons into it.It has done this since I bought it.
By the way its a 2000 sport

After I put the nozzle in all the way, I have to pull it back out a bit. Otherwise, the pump will either only put in a couple gallons and click off, or it will stop short of full. I am used to not inserting the nozzle all the way now.

Anyway, this seemed to be a common problem from what i have heard.

TrainedMonkey said:
After I put the nozzle in all the way, I have to pull it back out a bit. Otherwise, the pump will either only put in a couple gallons and click off, or it will stop short of full. I am used to not inserting the nozzle all the way now.

Anyway, this seemed to be a common problem from what i have heard.

Yep, I have to pull the nozzle back out a bit to keep it from clicking off.

PETEY said:
Yep, I have to pull the nozzle back out a bit to keep it from clicking off.

Ditto that with mine too. I think it has something to do with splash-back against something in the filler neck when you stick it in fully.

X2 on my 2k, and usaully only get about 17gal per fillup too. I usaully squease anywhere from $3 to $5 in after it shuts off so a 15gal shut off sounds about right.

When I get gas in NJ where they have those vapor recovery ends on the nozzles I have to run it slower to fill. Here in PA and most other states that just have a straight nozzle I don't have the problem but I have also seen some gas pumps that are more sensitive to back pressure, usually end up backing the nozzle out 2-3 inches and then it works fine.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I have had a problem since I bought it and it is finally getting to me enough to ask about it on here. Everytime I get gas the pump shuts off at about 3 or 4 gallons from a full tank.

I've had exactly the same problem on both my previous (2001) and current (2000) XJ. Quite honestly, it seems to be down to the pump design at whichever station I fill up at. The 76 down the street leaves it 3-4 gallons below full; the Shell and Chevron across town about a gallon to a gallon-and-a-half. If I'm out in the desert where smog control nozzles aren't in use at the pump, it's usually less than a gallon.

I've got the same thing on my 99...only not as bad. On mine, after the first click, I can get another 1.5 gallons in there...before it starts to run out (found that out last month). I just see it as a bad design and live with it. No problems with it so far. And get used to the gas guage being inaccurate.....they're all like that....especially the newer ones. I can have half a tank left and park on a hill facing up and it will read 1/4 left....and 3/4 left if I park down hill.

Back