• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch time ??

red91

NAXJA Forum User
At odds at what to do....

Just noticed today that the clutch is soft, and engaging about 1 inch off the floor, and has freeplay till about halfway down when light resistance is felt.

I have searched and found that...

Yes, there is some fluid between the Bellhousing and Trans.

No, there is NO fluid loss from the MC, or the SC...although the slave was midnight black.

Clutch still works and is smooth, but the pedal action leaves me to believe that some attention is due. And the question is, is...where to start ?

If I have to tear it all apart ( hope not :D )...I only want to do this once.

Advise please.

BTW...it is a 91 .

and yes...I will be out for the weekend. Since its still functional..I'm not gonna work on it right now...besides...our shop has a lift and I can get help doing the work ;)

I would also have the option of getting a later, external slave style transsmission from work. I hear they are much better all around anyhow.

Concensus ?

Last edited:
Bleed the clutch master/slave system

The only way I bleed anything anymore is with an electric vacuum bleeder. Clutches are a pain. Because of the ups and downs on the hose, air pockets are common. I scrounged a used medical vacuum pump and modified a mason jar. It is one of the handiest tools in my posession.

old_man said:
The only way I bleed anything anymore is with an electric vacuum bleeder. Clutches are a pain. Because of the ups and downs on the hose, air pockets are common. I scrounged a used medical vacuum pump and modified a mason jar. It is one of the handiest tools in my posession.

i bet.

Just called jeep for the clutch disk and plate...$294.00 ouch !

Bleeding it is definately 1st on the list.

with the SC thrown in the mix I bet the $ to fix it is gonna hurt.

My phone is gonna get a good workout tomorrow with the parts stores.

Well...bleed might work.

When and if you do the clutch, replace the slave, make sure you get the newer style with the rubber bellows...you will see what I mean.

I have had this happen in mine from time to time....until the master failed one day, and I replaced it.

Rev

I had the same symptoms as you. Didn't have any fluid loss, but a super soft pedal and not fully disengaging. Was my master cylinder. I replaced it 3 weeks ago and not a peep from the clutch system since.

Back