• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to rebuild front drive line

txredxj

NAXJA Forum User
i want to rebuild my front dive line because i get a bad vibration with 4.5 in of lift. i recently removed it and both the u-joints were toast and my vibes went away. i have a 9o limited with over 180,000 on the odometer. i also like to know if the rubber betwenthe 2 rear ujoint is important. if its no ill cut the little retainers off.

txredxj said:
i want to rebuild my front dive line because i get a bad vibration with 4.5 in of lift. i recently removed it and both the u-joints were toast and my vibes went away. i have a 9o limited with over 180,000 on the odometer. i also like to know if the rubber betwenthe 2 rear ujoint is important. if its no ill cut the little retainers off.
Every thing comes with the rebuild kit.

rstarch345 said:
You can get replacement parts here http://www.rockforddriveline.com/spicer.htmand NO, the rubber is not really all that important. Many shops that rebuild drive shafts don't install the rubber. If your going to be an asphault driver, then you may want to replace it.
What??No,the seals are not important(unless you want to stop water and debri from getting on the most critical part of a cv joint).

RCP Phx said:
What??No,the seals are not important(unless you want to stop water and debri from getting on the most critical part of a cv joint).

Well you see, the guy I talked to a High Angle Driveline, they use the spicer joints that have grease ports. Additionally, if you are in those areas that you would frequent mud baths, the mud has a tendancy to stay in that rubber area and damage the joint anyway.

He was the expert and the pro and his explaination made sense to me. I guess I'm just not one of those people that are too lazy to grease there rigs after every wheelin' jaunt so it works for me.

txredxj said:
i was talking of the rubber between the two u-joints, cardon style i think, being nesissary.
Yup, I called High Angle specifically to buy the rubber from them and that was his recommendation. He did say if I wasn't wheelin' then I might want to replace it.

rstarch345 said:
Well you see, the guy I talked to a High Angle Driveline, they use the spicer joints that have grease ports. Additionally, if you are in those areas that you would frequent mud baths, the mud has a tendancy to stay in that rubber area and damage the joint anyway.

He was the expert and the pro and his explaination made sense to me. I guess I'm just not one of those people that are too lazy to grease there rigs after every wheelin' jaunt so it works for me.
They all are tapped for grease,thats not the point,I grease my rig before and after a run,but the additional protection is critical to long joint life.

Back