• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing noise Front right

raypla

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'll sart out by saying I searched found simillar but not the same. When I turn right or left I have a grinding feeling rubbing noise coming from my front end I haven't took anything apart just looking for some advice on what to look for.

Oh yea stock height just some Edelbrock IFS shocks, stock size tires. Its getting worse. Makes a kind of bucking feeling when backing up (not to bad hardly noticeble). Please help

Thanks Ahead of Time

No it's constant. I just took a trip and I noticed going down the highway, when I let off the gas it feels like my brakes are on, more than usual. In another post I read about wheel bearings. What do you folks think?

jack up the front end, secure it on jackstands. Grab a tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and try to wobble is back and forth. If it wobbles then it's probably your wheel bearings. My MJ does about the same thing your XJ does, and I have a bad wheel bearing unit.

stuck caliper possibly as well see if your piston is extending inside the caliper when you step on the pedal, and also make sure you can compress the pistion with a c clamp

raypla said:
Well I'll sart out by saying I searched found simillar but not the same. When I turn right or left I have a grinding feeling rubbing noise coming from my front end I haven't took anything apart just looking for some advice on what to look for.

Oh yea stock height just some Edelbrock IFS shocks, stock size tires. Its getting worse. Makes a kind of bucking feeling when backing up (not to bad hardly noticeble). Please help

Thanks Ahead of Time

You might be catching your tire on something. Look for shiny spots, also have someone turn your wheel to a full lock (both ways) and then look and see if it's close to rubbing.
What you've descrived to me sounds like lugs (thread lugs) catching on control arms).

Kejtar said:
You might be catching your tire on something. Look for shiny spots, also have someone turn your wheel to a full lock (both ways) and then look and see if it's close to rubbing.
What you've descrived to me sounds like lugs (thread lugs) catching on control arms).

I agree.
What size tires are you running? 225's are stock right?

Yea stock size, biggest stock size possible, I looked to see if they were rubbin anything but it was doing it at even the slightest turn (Wendy's drivethrough) But today I went hunting and it didn't do it at all. Weird. My Waterpump did the same thing like a month ago, Pissing all over, than one day it stopped. I've been checking the antifreeze periodically and keeping a close eye on my temp.
Opps got of track.. but anyway its not doing it anymore. Is this one of those things that starts to go and stops kind of like my waterpump? (plan on replacing that soon, after hunting season) But should I just fix it (my wheel bearing) and not worry about it? It won't crap out on me and cause me to crash, right?

I've been saving up for the rest of my stereo system, Infinity perfect 6.5" component system 10" Infinity perfect sub and Infinity amp 111x4 watts RMS, looks like thats on hold now. Plus I have to get my Banks header and Magnaflow catback installed.

:) Thanks for all that replied. NAXJA kicks some serious A--

Last edited:
Well my wheel started making that noise again :(. When I get around to it should I replace both (the driver side makes no noise) or can I get away w/just replacing the passenger side? Is the front wheel hub and wheel bearing the same thing? Is the OEM part the way to go or is there others who make them?

A few weeks ago I replaced the driver's side front hub assembly, but left the passenger side alone. It doesn't seem to be a problem that I only did the one side. I bought mine from Autozone for $130, but they can be found on ebay for ~$70. It took about a day's worth of work, but that was only because the hub was rusted solid to the knuckle.

raypla said:
It won't crap out on me and cause me to crash, right?
I don't know about an XJ, but the front bearing in my dad's Subaru Outback failed, and the front wheel fell off on the freeway. Not fun.

sorry, this won't help, but mine is doing the same thing, and I need to figure it out. The only thing I could see causing it is the wheel bearing. My left went bad about 6 months ago, so I figure my right is going now. The only thing is, mine, as well as most, made a groaning sound at speed when it went before, now I am only getting the sound while turning at slow speeds. I have 215K and have had aftermarket wheels, which kill the bearings. I will let you know if I figure it out, please do the same.

Also, no, you won't crash. The hubs on Jeeps are very heavy duty and would take years of neglecting a bad bearing for the wheel to come off. The job took me less than 1 hour. It is easy, just take off the wheel and the brake rotor, and you will figure it out from there. Replacing only one side is perfectly fine. Get a good one from NAPA or dealer, not a crap Auto Zone or other. You would rather spend $50 more and not fool with it again, right?

Back