• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

right turn signal to start Jeep??

x550x

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is a repost. I wasn't sure how to search for the topic.

My Jeep only starts when the right turn signal is on. Is this normal? If so, can it be defeated?

btw it's an 01 Sport

I have a friend with a Tacoma. It does the same thing. For him, it's a anti-theft device. Count yourself lucky...and keep it a secret.

Does that type of thing happen on its own or does someone have to get in there and jack around with something? I'm lost and I have no idea where to even begin on finding a solution.

SteveT said:
I have a friend with a Tacoma. It does the same thing. For him, it's a anti-theft device. Count yourself lucky...and keep it a secret.
The guy I bought it from said that's what it was. There is nothing in the manual about it. He said he had an older XJ and it was the same way. I don't know what to think.

I should also say that everything functions as it should. Everything comes on and works when the ignition is on. It just won't fire until the right signal is on.

well I guess I have an anti gauge device on mine. It starts right up but none of the gauges work until I tap the right turn signal. What's up with that?
HT

I think it's something that can be insalled. Don't think it's a factory option and I've known people that have this on other cars. Never heard of anyone installing it though.

I have a 97 Sport, I used to push and hold the Cruise Control 'Cancel' button until the blinking red led to the left of my left knee (when seated) stopped blinking. It was as stated previously an 'anti-theft' device. I have heard of it on other Jeep too, and various different buttons that had to be pressed, switches switched and so on to de-activate the anti-theft.
Mine ended up causing problems with my electrical for some reason, if you ever find your engine back-firing, stuttering, stalling out or something wierd like that, have someone look into that device, and maybe removing it. Granted its nice while you have it, but I found it annoying when I'd lend someone my Jeep, and forget to tell them how to start it.
Anti-theft... its unanimous.

On mine I have to open and close the passenger door twice before it will start.
It's a Pain in the ass when your bu yourself, consider yourself Lucky.

Actually what it means is your jeep was a US government XJ at one time.
Postal, Motor pool and some Utility company vehicles had that anti-theft mod

that may be true for those in the US, my Jeep is Canadian eh, I know other Jeep owners that have mods like this too... either way mine is long gone now, after causing electrical problems I gave it the boot.

Back