• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Posting for a friend

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
Howdy,
A buddy of mine has a 79 Grand Wagoneer. In the midst of a move he has lost the ignition key.

I have NO idea how to get another one made.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

SharkXJ said:
Howdy,
A buddy of mine has a 79 Grand Wagoneer. In the midst of a move he has lost the ignition key.

I have NO idea how to get another one made.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
Take the VIN and title to a dealer and they will cut a new one.

If he didn't save the knockouts (with the key code numbers on them) from the original key, that's about the best chance he has.

SharkXJ said:
Even for a rig that old?
Either that or call a lock smith, the dealer will be cheaper if they can do it.
The only thing to think about is, the dealer can only cut the orignal key, if it's been changed he is out the money.
A good lock smith can cut any key and make it work.

Last edited:
if the ignition switch/lock was ever replaced sometimes the locksmith would scratch the key code into the cylinder and you won't have to replace the whole mechanism, good luck

If you go to the dealer,you will have to show proof of ownership of the vehicle...

Where do you find an AMC dealer in the year 2005!

just replace the ignition cylinder. did this on my 90 grand wag. cost about $25 at autozone, and took me about an hour to do. you do have to pull the steering wheel though.

Back