• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP ASAP Jeep is in pieces and i gotta go to work tomorrow

91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a noslip locker from a guy on a forum,, it is for a d-44 limited slip,,(which i thought i had) turns out that i dont have a d-44,,,but i cant find what the hell axle i have!
the dana website sucks,,
and the powertrax website has a axle identification chart,., and mine is not on there,,, - none of them match,, HERE is the id chart

Mine has 12 holes and doesnt match any of the patterns shown on the chart. the only acles with 12 holes on the chart are the chrysler 9.25 and the gm 8.875.

I bought this axle a few years ago, I was told it was a d-44 metric ton axle.. I believed them because it was way bigger than my 35 and it bolted right up,, none of the perches or shock mounts have been relocated,, so its a stock axle.

If anyone needs to know the pattern i have i can take a pic of the cover real quik - just let me know.

PLEASE HELP!!

Probably a Chrysler 8.25". Good,stout axle compared to the Dana 35,but it's still no 44. Is the center section rounded with a flat bottom? If so,that's it!

On a side note,you didn't mention which you had,an XJ or MJ? The MJ's came with an AMC 20 rear for one year only ('86),in which I just discovered this info yesterday. It will be a large,round center section. Good axle,too. Large ring & pinion and stout axle tubes compared to the D-35. I hope you didn't pay too awfully much for either of these axles;) as they aren't worth as much as the 44.

Sorry the 8.25 only has ten bolts.I dont know where you got your Jeep from,but it sounds like a model 20 or GM 12bolt!!

Im sorry - i found out that it is a 44,, i was counting the holes on the diff.. housing not the cover - i should of just counted the bolts - duh problem is the instructions say to locate and remove the pinion retainer bolt - I dont have one,,, I have c-clips,, I figure im screwed with this noslip i just got - i cant find an install that matches my diff.. wtf? lol
pattern.jpg

I thought C clips held the axle in, as in they are oriented side to side, not top to bottom on the pin. Perhaps those clips have something to do with the LSD?

If you can't get everything together by tomorrow morning, bolt the cover back up, drop your rear DS, plug up your Tcase output and drive in 4 hi for the day.

The trunnion pin is held in by a small roll pin that is mounted parallel to the axles.

hey lucas - im just about ready to intall those coils i got from you - i plasti-dipped them yellow - will post picts soon,

as for the diff. the c=clips are on the pinion shaft - i had none on the axles - axles are removed allready the dang instructions say nuthing about the c-clips - for an open or limited - Im about to say "powertrax intructions suck" "1.5 hours to install" BULLSH!T - lol

still takeing comments on this one - - - - thanks

Last edited:
No slip applications are different if you have a limited slip vs. an open case. You have a Dana 44, but it looks to have some sort of limited slip in it, most likely a Trac-Lock. There is a NoSlip made for this axle, but you likely don't have it.

Button her back up and head to work. Resell the NoSlip and buy the proper one for your application.

CRASH

RCP Phx said:
The trunnion pin is held in by a small roll pin that is mounted parallel to the axles.

trunnion? - pinion i assume - but the instructions say that carrier removal is not nessesary.. I guess ill have to take the damn thing out

my first post states that it is for a d-44 limited slip - you know of an install that shows c-clips?
noslip part number 9204443020

THe trunnion pin is what holds the spider gears in.The roll pin will be on on end of the trunion pin and parallel to the axles.

Youve got the right part#!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this works!The 44 Trac-lok does use "snap-rings" to hold the trunnion pin in!

"I learned something today"

84830719.gif

holy sh!t - there is a trac-loc and a trac-lok???
what fawkin a$$holes for doing such a dumb a$$ thing ( a "c" or a "k") THATS BUNK

RCP PHX,,, could you get that exploded view back of the d-44 - thats the only pic i seen of it---
as for the no slip,, I bought an open d44 carrier on ebay for 15 bucks,, I am going to send this LSD no slip to 4 wheelers and they will swap me for an open no slip.
PowerTrax had no clue of my axle,,,lol
thanks

91XJ said:
RCP PHX,,, could you get that exploded view back of the d-44 - thats the only pic i seen of it---
as for the no slip,, I bought an open d44 carrier on ebay for 15 bucks,, I am going to send this LSD no slip to 4 wheelers and they will swap me for an open no slip.
PowerTrax had no clue of my axle,,,lol
thanks

67477937.gif

91XJ said:
holy sh!t - there is a trac-loc and a trac-lok???
what fawkin a$$holes for doing such a dumb a$$ thing ( a "c" or a "k") THATS BUNK

Calm down, Mate.

"Trac-Loc" is not the correct spelling. "Trac-Lok" is the correct spelling. There was only one factory LSD offered for the Dana 44.

Back