• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Exhaust

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a new exhaust system for me 89 and was wonderig if anyone new of a good exhaust system that added ponies and gave a pretty good sound for a good price?

you still should do your own research, but I'll sum up what I've read on this site for you since I'm bored.

depends on how much you want to replace, and how much you want to spend.

Borla, banks, gibson, and others all make systems that replace from the catalytic converter back to the exhaust tip(which seem to do more for sound quality than performance), and also headers which you can replace your stock manifold with, this, along with a new down pipe and high flow cat MAY give you a performance increase, but it's highly debatable exactly what your getting. general consensus seems to be that you can gain around 5HP, but that torque may suffer due to the more open system with less back pressure.

In my opinion, SS Borla from the manifold all the way back seems to be the way to go, but expect to spend somewhere around 750-1000 dollars for the whole system (If you install it yourself)

My Advice: If your looking for a cheap easy way to get more power out of your jeep, you'll never find one. I was dead set on spending a ton of money on an air intake and exhaust- until I started doing research. these are two mods that honda and mustang owners swear by, and are a good place to start, but just don't do a whole lot on the 4.0L. without forced induction, or increased displacement, you're not going to get the kind of increases you'll want for the money.

search on here for Dr Dyno, click the link in his sig, and see all of the performance mods he has done.

HTH

B

B

Last edited:
I'm always hearing from my brother that " there is no replacement for displacement" but I kinda disagree I'm not racing I'm trail riding or crawling the replacement is gears!! I think we need to know more about you situation and what you hope to gain.
Do you want more mph for less rpm on the hwy with your new tires or do you want the most bang for your buck because you have to replace much of your exhaust any way?

Unless your doing something to increace the intake side, dont expect an exhaust to do much of anything other than make it louder. Most performance gains from exhaust on stock vehicles are in your head(or your going faster due to a lighter wallet!)...most flow perfectly fine from the factory to breath free enough to make the stock engine perform well. Ive had enough of my own vehicles on a before and after dyno to tell you that an exhaust alone on a stock motor is usually little to no help and in some cases, actually decreaces torque.

I dont really like exhaust kits as most are bolt on...not that theres anything bad with a bolt on system, but i prefer to fab up and weld on my own. Id buy a muffler of your choice then have it installed by a qualified welder or muffler shop.

two words - Thrush Magnum.
I helped Cherokee Champ 85 put this 20 dollar summit racing muffler on his '88 - we just chopped off the muffler as close as the sawzall would let us get to it. and left the pipe hangar coming down infront of the axle.
we stopped at autozone and got a pipe collar and a turn down to fit the muffler - welded the collar and turndown to the pipe - then clamped the muffler to the what was left behind the catylitic converter. we had to use a transmission jack to raise the muffler up to where I could weld the hangar to the side of the turndown. But the means all justified the end
for 30 bucks he had a nice aggressive exhaust what wasn't too labor intensive that has actually improved his mpg by 2-3 (probably nill now that it's winter though) and it did put a little spring back into the step of that old 4.0

I opted for the quieter muffler - flowtech red hots, it created a nice mellow tone, more like that of a stock v8 sound. I installed it the same way, but I had to cut more hangars off of mine before I could get the old piping out

if the rig is stock - its easier to place a hi lifting jack (trans jack for us) under the frame infront of the passenger rear wheel - to stretch out the suspension on that side and be able to remove the old cat-back in one piece.

I really wish we would've taken photos during the process. but we were rushin to get our two jeeps out of the garage

Back