• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspace Search Tip (for those with 7" rims)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
Most commonly backspace is discussed here to determine how good or bad a tire will stuff in a fender. Stock is 5" or more, and most people prefer 3.75 to 4.5 when they buy Aftermarket. The stuff factor is usually based on 8" rims with "X" amount of BS to make a tire stuff good.

If you have a 7" wheel with 3.75 BS and an 8" wheel with 3.75 BS, the back of the wheels will be identical. The extra width will all be toward the outside of the wheel.

So if you are searching for backspacing info, keep in mind that if you are running 7" rims, and you get a backspacing number on the forum (for 8" rims), you should add and inch to that number when figuring how well it will stuff a tire.

Example. My 7 inch rims have a BS of 3.75. A 32x11.50 stuffs perfectly. If they were 8" rims, the 3.75 BS would stick them farther out keeping them from stuffing as well. Of course reverse that logic you are looking to stick your tires out farther.

Just a tip for when you are searching. (Not that very many people want 7" rims)

This thread just made me realize something. I have these 15x6 wheels on my Cherokee. It had no spare when I bought it, so I ran out to my local pick-and-pull and grabbed the only 225/75R15 wheel/tire on the lot, which I now realize is a different width (15x7; it's this one). If I need to run this spare, will the different width be a problem?

Back