• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft popcorn popper

james swain

NAXJA Forum User
hello, yes im a newbie, but i need some good advice. I have an 86 xj pioneer 3" skyjacker lift and 1" t-case drop. It has a cv style front driveshaft. Now before I lifted it, it roared really loud in 4x4. after I lifted it it sounded like world war 3 uderneath. so, I replaced the driveshaft with a rebuilt unit from the local parts store 200 or so dollars!! now in 4x4 i still get a little roar but mostly it has a rapid popping noise mostly when turning. I would like to replace the cv style with the later style double u joint style but i dont know if thats possible. by the way it has a np207 t case. thanks a gain.......the newbie.

Unfortunately, the beer can on a stick shaft will not last long with a lift. Been there, got the t/shirt...get a double cardin shaft...the front output yoke for a 231 or 242 case will fit, but you will need to grind off a little of the threaded shaft after installing it to clear the joint...use a die grinder and an abrasive cutoff wheel (be careful and safe).

The popcorn sound is most likely an axleshaft u-joint....jack up one front wheel....turn the steering wheel full lock one way or the other (doesn't matter which way)....spin tire by hand...if its stiff and hard to turn, straighten out the steering wheel...if it turns easily when pointed straight...axle joint...repeat other side....if one joint is bad, replace both.

Back