• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Question

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Im converting to 4WD this weekend and have a question.

Currently I have a '96 2WD with good+ brake
The donor vehicle is a '87 with no brakes

Will any brake parts cross over, or do I need to buy everthing from the hoses down.

Thanks

Jesse

couldnt' tell ya but try callin the parts store and see if the part numbers are the same.

I just went to quadratec and compared the OEM hard parts list, it gives different #'s for the '80s and '90s.

But if I have whole assembly does anyone know if they will but up as a complete unit?

noresttill said:
I just went to quadratec and compared the OEM hard parts list, it gives different #'s for the '80s and '90s.

But if I have whole assembly does anyone know if they will but up as a complete unit?

it will likely not work unless you can come up with a knuckle from the same year as the new front end - the difference is the unit bearing thickness and how that forces teh rotor to line up with the caliper, and the knuckle has quite a bit to do with that...

id say use your knuckle, unit bearing, and everything from the front axle "beam" on the 2wd, but there is no provision on the 2wd "hub" for an axle shaft and that is the whole point of the swap - to have front axle shafts is it not?

good luck!

the rotors are the only thing that are different, and its just spacing, the wheel bearing assembly is also spaced differently, so the end up lining up the same

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I figure I will just use my current Knuckles off the 2WD to still use the brakes (it seems they just have a big ol' 'plug where the axle shaft goes in)

in regards to the vac disco, the stock vac disco axle shafts are 3 piece right? 2 little and 1 large right??

And the non disco shafts are 2 piece?? a tall and a short?

Because I think my buddy threw the newer style shafts in the back but I didn't notice them until I went out just now and was looking around in the heep.

Back