• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comparison of 9'' to a dana 60 article

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
Article on camparisons of the Ford 9'' and Dana 60

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/main.html

Click on "Why a nine?"

At the bottom of that page is another link "ground clearance comparison"

I think you guys will find it interesting and informative.

Sorry if posted in wrong place.

Good article. Glad I picked up my 9".

But that pinion is so low.

The 1550 gives me wood though.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Since I am a ford guy, the cherokee is my only Jeep, I would always go with a Ford 9". Plus I can get one fairly easy.

Aint that the truth... I'm tripping over them at my local wrecking yard...
Got a nodular 9" for myself.

You guys probably knew most of this info. but I thought that I would post it for those that are still learning. It answers alot of questions.

Thanks for the post xj ranger those some good comparisons.

i do find some of that info a little short handed and without explination. for instance they measured a shaved 9" against standard 60's granted they used a high clearance 60 but some still shave further. and same with the explination of ring gear strength just because it is thicker dosn't mean it is nessarily stronger. i think they should have discussed the reasoning behind a strength or weakness further.

yeah but they sale 9" stuff not dana 60 stuff. of course they are going to be biased towards their product. That is just a falacie within the argument between a Dana 60 and 9"

But 9" is better :flipoff:

The Blu Yak said:
yeah but they sale 9" stuff not dana 60 stuff. of course they are going to be biased towards their product. That is just a falacie within the argument between a Dana 60 and 9"

But 9" is better :flipoff:

I sale LeBaron hood vents - anyone want some?

bj-666 said:
i do find some of that info a little short handed and without explination. for instance they measured a shaved 9" against standard 60's granted they used a high clearance 60 but some still shave further. and same with the explination of ring gear strength just because it is thicker dosn't mean it is nessarily stronger. i think they should have discussed the reasoning behind a strength or weakness further.

Read these:

http://www.truehi9.com/gears2.html

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

They don't sell 60's because they aren't as strong as the 9", and they don't want to sell a bad product. Guys running around 400hp here in Texas have yet to break on of their 1550 axles. If they have, I haven't heard of it, but on Pirate they are pretty fond of these axles. That's gotta mean something.

i have a 60 and a 9 sittin in my basment.....im building the 60, parts are cheaper, and built, im not going to break either of them once theyre built, but on the off chance i do, i want the full floater, so...60 it is

tealcherokee said:
i have a 60 and a 9 sittin in my basment.....im building the 60, parts are cheaper, and built, im not going to break either of them once theyre built, but on the off chance i do, i want the full floater, so...60 it is

there are full floater 9's if memory serves, but then you are talking custom shafts...

yeah, you can have a full floater anything if you wanted to get some spindles and a set of shafts....but nothing seems nicer to me than a set of 1.5", 35 spline, crmo shafts, and a full spool for under $500

Back