• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor squeal

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
Lately my blower motor has been raising hell, squealing like a stuck pig at most of the fan settings. Is there a quick and dirty way to quiet it down? I don't really wanna have to pull it since the FSM says I have to evacuate the refridgerant. The FSM also says they can't be serviced and I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

My jeep is a 2000 Classic XJ.

Greg

Evacuate refrigerent to pull the blower motor?

If true, the 2000 must be different from the older ones. I replaced the motor in my '88 ... it isn't anywhere that requires evacuating refrigerant. Some folks have been able to drill a small hole in the "nub" on the housing where the end of the shaft sits. Dribble some sewing machine oil in there, then cover the hole with electrical tape. If it works it'll buy you a year or two. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off than before.

The AC must be evacuated because you have to take the heater box completely out to change the motor, which is where the condenser is. I had to go threw the same thing with my heater core.

Jeremycj7 said:
The AC must be evacuated because you have to take the heater box completely out to change the motor, which is where the condenser is. I had to go threw the same thing with my heater core.

Now that's interesting. However in my FSM for my 2000 XJ, it specifically says the AC housing doesn't need to be removed to remove the blower motor.

Lately my blower motor has been raising hell, squealing like a stuck pig at most of the fan settings. Is there a quick and dirty way to quiet it down? I don't really wanna have to pull it since the FSM says I have to evacuate the refridgerant. The FSM also says they can't be serviced and I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

My jeep is a 2000 Classic XJ.
Now that's interesting. However in my FSM for my 2000 XJ, it specifically says the AC housing doesn't need to be removed to remove the blower motor.

I know how it is in my 98. There is no access to fan motor without removing AC housing. I have already had to pull it once. By the way, which one of you have a FSM with from Mopar

Okay, now I know why I need to discharge the AC. It said I need to move the accumulator out of the way. What a PITA. I guess if I want to just lub the shaft, I might be able to get away without moving the accumulator.

It only does it when it's really cold, <10F. I might put it off til it gets warmer.

I have the Daimler Chrysler FSM.

Back