• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise, only in 4wd

snod83

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have a 99 cherokee sport with the 4.0 L, auto trans, and not sure what transfer case but when I put it into 4wd I get some pretty bad clunks. It just started doing this recently. I thought that maybe it was because I wasn't on really soft or slick surface when it first happened (dirt) so I tried again on ice, and there is still a noise. The 4wd appears to be working ok, it just makes the clunking noise when accelerating. I am planning on putting the whole truck up on jackstands and trying it out, but I am thinking that it won't do it because it won't be loaded! I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? It doesn't appear to be random at all, always when accelerating in 4wd. Are there some things I should check? I plan on greasing everything, again. Is there a way to change the fluid in the transfer case?

Ryan

Hey ryan same thing on mine, only 4.0 with a manual. I ended up having to buy a whole new front end and driveshaft. Or you could just check out your u joints. Actually don't listen to me cause im an idiot usually. Good excuse to swap in the dana 60.

Would this be common of the driveshaft u-joints, or the ones in the steering knuckles? I don't really need a dana 60 because this is a daily driver, with 58,000 miles. It does have a 3" lift, but it was well after the lift that this started.

Ryan

Is there a way to change the fluid in the transfer case

On the NP 231 transfer case you have fill and drain plugs which require 1 3/16" sockets or a big enough crescent wrench. Fill with Dex III to bottom of fill hole.
Is the front end "clunk" a one-time thing, or does the noise rise and fall with speed? Check your -U- joints and drive shafts for play. Also change front differentail fluid to synthetic 75W90 gear oil.

It varies with speed. I will do what was reccommended. Does the transfer case have a filter? Also, this will give me a chance to inspect the differential, make sure its not missing any teeth or anything, even though this would probaly be more of a consistant noise!

Also, what is the proper way to disengaged 4wd? I usually just push the lever forward, then back up a few feet. Is that right? I don't have a manual!

Ryan

Nope, no filter. I use cheap plastic hose/tubing and an old pump from a shampoo or lotion bottle, something with a cap that fits over standard oil bottle. ATF bottles aren't made to squeeze fluid into a fill hole.

I have an old gear oil container that I keep around that has a hose on the end that I use for that purpose... I just make sure I clean it out with some kerosene after each time I use it! Works great.

Ryan

What will happen? The clunking noise? Are these easy to change out, or does that mean a whole new transfer case? I haven't really done much work on any 4wd's. I am a street rod man myself, but my t-bucket doesn't fair to well in snow!! hahaha..

Ryan

The np 231 tcase is chain driven. If you have driven in 4wd on pavement or a dry hard surface, or ever just time then the chain will stretch. This causes the chain to jump the teeth on the front output gears. It happened to me. It sounds like a clunking u-joint or driveshaft. The chain will cost around $80. I got mine from tellico.com. It does require you to take off the rear half of the t-case. I replaced my chain while the tcase was on the vehichle, some prefer to remove the tcase. Tom woods website has a good writeup on takeing it apart. Just a bummer that the 231 tcase goes through this. But i suppose that everything has to have a weak spot.

A few questions:

Where would I find tom woods website?

How do I tell if I have the np231 transfer case?

Does the chain come with the gaskets to put the case back together with?

Will I destroy anything if I continue to use the 4wd occasionally until I get this fixed? Do I need to replace the gears with the chain? I won't be able to get to working on it until christmas eve or so....

Ryan

snod83 said:
A few questions:

Where would I find tom woods website?

How do I tell if I have the np231 transfer case?

Does the chain come with the gaskets to put the case back together with?

Will I destroy anything if I continue to use the 4wd occasionally until I get this fixed? Do I need to replace the gears with the chain? I won't be able to get to working on it until christmas eve or so....

Ryan

If your shifter is labeled 2hi, 4hi, N, 4lo you have the 231 "command-trac"

If it is labeled 2hi, 4ft, 4pt, N, 4lo you have the 242 "selec-trac"

Tom woods website is : http://www.4xshaft.com/

I had a popping noise a while back. It would only pop in 4wd. Long story short, it ended up being a bad motor mount. Took forever to diagnose it, crazy I know. I guess it didn't have enough torque in 2wd to pop, only in 4wd. So, that is something else you might check.
HTH

Back