• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rattle under shifter

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Ok ever since i got this 88 xj 4.0 5spd. Its had a rattle when going over bumps. won't do it idling, revving etc. just bumps. It sounds to be comming from around the shifter or the underneight the console.

anyone have any ideas? its been like this for 3 months now. and its just starting to get anoying. it hasn't gotten worse just annoying. i know jeeps rattle and squeek and what not. but this rattle just doesn't seem right. its not a interior squeek or rattle.

Last edited:
Have you tried pulling the shifter out, and checking to see if maybe there are wear bushings missing on the end of the "finger" that does the actual shifting? There are ALOT of tmanual trannies that use these, and they do wear out, break, go missing..., and can let the shifter "jump" a little, and cause the noise that you describe.

My 99 auto does the same thing just at a redlight, step on the gas a little bit and its gone, its pretty annoying. But i just turn the stereo up, and I learned to ignore it. I dont mind having selective hearing but I wouldnt mind figuring out what it is. I've read on NAXJA and have come to learn with a Jeep, unexpected noiises come from everywhere and anytime.

When I got my 98 I was wiring some switches, so I took the cover off the 4wd lever area. Found over $5.00 in change in there, some was all bent from the previous owner jamming it into 4wd. Moral of story, take it apart, might just be something fell/stuck in there.

raypla said:
My 99 auto does the same thing just at a redlight, step on the gas a little bit and its gone, its pretty annoying. But i just turn the stereo up, and I learned to ignore it. I dont mind having selective hearing but I wouldnt mind figuring out what it is. I've read on NAXJA and have come to learn with a Jeep, unexpected noiises come from everywhere and anytime.

Tre...not sure if this is worth checking on yours, because I'm not sure how the older XJ's are set-up, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that raypla's problem is the transfer case linkage. Same thing happened to my 98. There's a bushing that wears out that causes the linkage rattle around and drive you nuts. I was able to put a piece of rubber fuel line between the bracket and the linkage rod, to put some pressure on it so it wouldn't rattle. Been like that for 2 years now.

My 99 does this too. If you search the forum, you'll see that there's actually a replacement bushing kit available from the dealer. I think it's about $22. Personally, when mine rattles, I just jiggle the lever a little & it stops. It IS getting annoying though.... maybe I'll try the rubber/fuel line fix :)

prb24: did you have to get under it to get that hose in there or could you do it from popping the cover off on the top? (it's like 19 degrees here right now & I have no intention of getting on the ground under the jeep at this point).

gba88 said:
My 99 does this too. If you search the forum, you'll see that there's actually a replacement bushing kit available from the dealer. I think it's about $22. Personally, when mine rattles, I just jiggle the lever a little & it stops. It IS getting annoying though.... maybe I'll try the rubber/fuel line fix :)

prb24: did you have to get under it to get that hose in there or could you do it from popping the cover off on the top? (it's like 19 degrees here right now & I have no intention of getting on the ground under the jeep at this point).

Yup...the bracket is mounted to the driver's side of the tranny hump. IIRC, I may have had to unbolt it to get it in there. It's definetly something that took more than a couple of minutes. Hopefully you get a warm day soon. :laugh3:

If it is the T-case linkage, there is two types of bushings -brass and plastic. You'll have to get under there to shake the linkages to find what bushing broke. If its the brass one (part# 52078134) that is built into a small plate mounted on the tunnel bracket, the only way to get it out is pull up the carpet (if you still have it) and remove the 4 bolts that hold on the bracket on and remove the plate from underneath.

The plastic bushings (part# 3575333) are on all the other linkage connections that just pop off.

Back