• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatchback Frozen Shut ...

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ... here in Montana, it's down to -18 degrees below zero at night (actual temp, not wind chill), and the rear hatch on my '91 cherokee is frozen shut ... won't budge for the world. It seems that as snow melted earlier in the sunshine, water drained down onto the rubber seal, and now it's frozen. And the temp won't get above freezing for at least another week or so.

Anybody ever dealt with this? Any clever way to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks.

montanaman said:
Hey ... here in Montana, it's down to -18 degrees below zero at night (actual temp, not wind chill), and the rear hatch on my '91 cherokee is frozen shut ... won't budge for the world. It seems that as snow melted earlier in the sunshine, water drained down onto the rubber seal, and now it's frozen. And the temp won't get above freezing for at least another week or so.

Anybody ever dealt with this? Any clever way to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks.
Don't live in Montana. Ha, just kidding.

The only things I could think of are to put a car cover over it so the moisture can't really get to it, or park it inside a garage or something.

montanaman said:

Thanks.
lubricate the seal?

Silicone lubricant, I think you can get the specific item called for at the dealer or probably be fine going to the parts store.

Happens all the time here. A bucket of warm water will usually do it. Wherever that cold water went to freeze, the warm water should go too. If that doesn't do it, have a helper push the button while you get inside and push or kick it open with your feet. Make sure the person outside knows to get out of the way. Once it's open, dry it off and put some silicone on it.

Hot water didn't work for me last winter. Ended up using an electric heater CAREFULLY to super heat the inside of the XJ and that released the rear hatch and a rear door. All still stick a little when it gets real cold.

You can lube the seals on doors and hatches with PAM cooking spray....or just any kind of cooking spray...PAM is the only one I know that comes in a spray...Works on all rubber seals...

WD-40 beforehand on the seals...

or

Take a spray bottle and fill it 50/50 alcohol and water spary or drizzle down the seal.....this also works great as a de-icer.

My problem is my freaking windshield washer fluid freazes over. I opened up the cap on the bottle today and it was a solid block. And this is after putting in the de-icer fluid.

Vertisce said:
My problem is my freaking windshield washer fluid freazes over. I opened up the cap on the bottle today and it was a solid block. And this is after putting in the de-icer fluid.

Jeez!!! Where do you people live that you would freeze de-icer!!!! You need to talk to this guy. :firedevil

yardape said:
Jeez!!! Where do you people live that you would freeze de-icer!!!! You need to talk to this guy. :firedevil

Ogden Utah......it really get THAT Cold in Utah???

We have the de-icing windsheild washer fluid here. It gets -20, and I've never had it freeze on me. I'd say pour that on the hatch to get rid of the ice so you can open it, and it won't freeze back up again, then you can use silicone, or even Vasaline on the seals.

maybe turn the heater on inside for a little while before opening it.

vertise said:

What!? Are you sure you mixed it in the right concentration using the formula on the bottle? The XJ washer tank holds 1 gal. I have it in my Jeep right now even though its totally unnecessary to do so around here. I like it because it was cheap (because its a concentrate so it lasts a long time when you dilute it) and it cleans bugs and stuff well.

Thanks for all the great advice. I got it open with the help of a friend, and will do something soon to prevent future problems. After reading your responses and talking with other people, here are the things that seem to work for rubber treatment (for future searches):

- Vasoline
- Slicone Spray
- Carmex
- X-country ski wax
- Pam

montanaman said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I got it open with the help of a friend, and will do something soon to prevent future problems. After reading your responses and talking with other people, here are the things that seem to work for rubber treatment (for future searches):

- Vasoline
- Slicone Spray
- Carmex
- X-country ski wax
- Pam
LMAO...he has LOTS of lubricant...I wonder why? lol

Back