• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking engine plug??

Helltech4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I found were the leaking was coming from on my 2000 XJ 4.0. its hard to tell if its oil or collant its realy hard to see were exactly the fluid is coming from because it is right under the intake manifold and the exhust manifold is in the way to. Its really hard to tell but I can see it slowly coming down the block ethier from the plug or above the plug where i can't see it. any one else had the problem or any hints as to what it could be?

replace the freeze plug if that's it. I can't stress enough that you NOT put any "stop leak" of any sort in the motor. It usually clogs up small passageways and anything else it can.

I'm not too sure about jumping on a freeze plug. I don't even remember seeing one in that area.

I think I'd be more concerned about a cracked head and loseing coolant through the crack. There were certain casting numbers for the 2K XJ that have been notorious for cracking. They cracked right around the #3 cylinder.

Do a search on casting number and cracked heads to check this out more.

Yep - there's freeze plugs under there, and that's the only leak I can readily think of. Cylinder head oil drainback is on the other side, and if the valve cover was leaking, you'd know it!

Freeze plugs are a little difficult to replace - especially since you'll have to pull the manifolds to get the job done. Then, it's "drain the coolant" time - the radiator drain is on the passenger side, on the SIDE of the tank, buried inside the fascia. Might be easier to pull the manifolds first (you're doing it anyhow) and pull either the CTS or the drain plug on the block (they're both under there.)

Then, there's two ways to pull a welch plug:

1) Take a punch, and GENTLY turn the freeze plug until it's sideways into the hole. Then, remove with pliers.

2) Drill a hole, put in a sheetmetal screw or a toggle bolt, and pop it loose that way.

Then, make sure the hole is clean, apply a little RTV Copper or Black to the edge of the welch plug, and MAKE SURE IT'S GOING IN STRAIGHT! Use a socket that just fits into the cup or a dedicated welch plug driver, and tap lightly with a hammer. Stop when the edge of the cup is JUST below the surface of the casting.

Might as well change them all while you're in there - if one's leaking, the others aren't far behind...

5-90

It dosen;t look like it is comming from the bigger round plugs it looks as if it is coming from a smaller plug just below the bigger ones and the little one has threads and a square head the is inset in to it like a socket would look like.

Or an easier fix, that makes sense for you canadians....when you pop out that freeze plug, throw a block heater in the hole...its like $30 from jeep.

Helltech4x4 said:
It dosen;t look like it is comming from the bigger round plugs it looks as if it is coming from a smaller plug just below the bigger ones and the little one has threads and a square head the is inset in to it like a socket would look like.
anyway you can get a picture?

Back