• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" BFG \ 34" LTB's Size Question.

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 5" DPG lift. I put 32" tires on it and unfortunately, they are very small for their advertized size (29" on the xj). So I want 33 BFG's. To get an idea of how they would fit, I put on a friends 34" LTBs tonight. On the xj, they measured just under 33"... but they looked HUGE! I haven't cut the fenders yet, but it would take some huge cuts to get those in where I could flex.

What I'm asking is how tall are 33" x 12.50 BFGs on an xj sitting static? Has anyone gone from 33" BFGs or MTRs to 34" LTBs? Are the LTB's a lot bigger?

Thanks

BFG Muddys or BFG ATs? The ATs are about 32 in if I remember and the MTs are about .5 in taller. If you go with the MTs you'll have to trim for sure b/c the knobbier tires can rip off your flares. I have 6in lift and 33 BFG ATs and I rub but if I got MTs, I'd rip off.

7 inch rims??...I think I would go with a 33x10.50. Cuts down on the possibility of rubbing too.

with a 5 inch lift, why dont you go 35's. my brother just did 33/12.50 trxxus mt's on the RE 3.5, and im running 32/11.50 BFG mt's, and after we trimmed, no rubbing. obviously you will have to trim either way you go. to answer your direct question, i believe it is 32.7 inches.

a 33" tire is the same size on an XJ as it is on a dump truck, just so you know. :lecture: Fenders don't care if your tire is sitting static or not, the radius of the tire is the same at the fender. :read:

Yeah... I know a 33" tire is the same size no matter what it's on, but not all 33" tires are actually 33" and they don't measure the same height off the Jeep as they do on.

What I was asking was just for someone to measure a 33" mud terrain on the Jeep to know how they will sit in comparison to the 34" LTB's that I test fit that were less than 33" tall. :dunno:

From searching and reading a bunch of posts, it seems like its a big deal to many when they can squeeze in LTBs, and it gives the impression that they are a "step up" from 33 inch mud terrains. From the replies here so far though, it sounds like people are saying that 33" mud terrains are about the same size.

Is this the case (if anyone has seen them side by side or has run both)

I've got 5" of lift but actually sitting at 6" and I'm running 34" LTB's. When I first got them, I had nothing trimmed because I was running 31's. They rubbed while doing minor offroading, so I cut the air dam off and it's supports, then I trimmed the bottom of my front flares and no rubbing. I'm running 15x8 Rockcrawlers with 3.75 back spacing.

Here's a pic of what 5" and 34's looks like...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/andrew2516/Hugecherokee.jpg

Harvo said:
What I'm asking is how tall are 33" x 12.50 BFGs on an xj sitting static?

Thanks

According to their website (right here) the 33x12.50 are 32.8" on an 8.5-11" rim.

If by "static" height, you mean the true height minus the little flat spot where it sits on the gound, I have no idea. That'll depend on the weight of the jeep and the pressure in the tires, and how stiff or soft the tire is. I don't know or care.

If you're trying to figure how far it'll come up into your fender, measure the radius (16.4") up from the center of your hub.

Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
According to their website (right here) the 33x12.50 are 32.8" on an 8.5-11" rim.

If by "static" height, you mean the true height minus the little flat spot where it sits on the gound, I have no idea. That'll depend on the weight of the jeep and the pressure in the tires, and how stiff or soft the tire is. I don't know or care.

If you're trying to figure how far it'll come up into your fender, measure the radius (16.4") up from the center of your hub.

Robert

Thank you!
christ, i mentioned to look at the website.. an nothing..
not rocket science here, 32.8 verse 33.6
it will fit, you dont need a picture to figure that out..

Thank you!
christ, i mentioned to look at the website.. an nothing..
not rocket science here, 32.8 verse 33.6
it will fit, you dont need a picture to figure that out..

Got a problem with the question? Don't keep reading the thread. :idea:

Harvo said:
I put on a friends 34" LTBs tonight. On the xj, they measured just under 33"... but they looked HUGE! I haven't cut the fenders yet, but it would take some huge cuts to get those in where I could flex.

What I'm asking is how tall are 33" x 12.50 BFGs on an xj sitting static? Has anyone gone from 33" BFGs or MTRs to 34" LTBs? Are the LTB's a lot bigger?

Thanks

The ltb's being 34x10.5 make them appear to be alot taller than they are, its a funny aspect you arent used to. I wouldn't run 33x12.5 tires on 7" wheels, and what offset are your wheels? You'll get a lot of rubbing. Get some aftermarket wheels or go 33x10.5. You should have no problems clearing them, though.

With a 5" actual lift, you can guarantee 33's will still rub. My 4.5 RE kit netted right around 6, and even with trimmed fenders, it still rubs. I dont like the idea of 35s on an XJ with anything less than 6.5 inches of lift...flex isnt everything, but i feel you give up too much with anything less due to massive amounts of bumpstoping.

sorry to bring up a old thread but I have the 34x10.5 15 ltb's. My jeep has the 4.5 RE lift in the front with 2 inch coil spacer and the flares removerd with light trimming and only under a very hard articulation do I get any tire rubbing. I would say that at least 6.5 inches of lift is needed unless you really plan on cutting up the fender wells or don't plan on doing any hard articulation.

35s on 5" of lift is possible its called bumpstop, you'll have to add to what RE sends you.

Back