• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hack and Tap writeup

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
RE Hack and Tap writeup???

Is there a good write up out there with good pictures? Pre 96 style.

Sean

Last edited:
I believe that is post 96, didn't the output shaft used to be inside the tailcone on the 87-95 231's?

Yes you are correct, The tailshft was inside of a housing.

Justin

Not trying to hijack a thread or anything but since we're on the subject of SYE's....

Has anyone heard of using a front driveshaft with double cardan as a rear shaft with SYE? I'm just wondering if it would be feasible to , for example, use a shaft from a bigger truck that would possibly be long enough to use. I'd jump on a SYE kit if I could do that. It's just the price of SYE and driveshaft combined that's kept me away.

Mark

It will work with the HD SYE kits only and most axle combinations,but only as a spare.Its not as strong as the rear shafts!

OneTonXJ said:
I believe that is post 96, didn't the output shaft used to be inside the tailcone on the 87-95 231's?

And what I'm telling you, is that it's not that different. Take the cone of yours...there ya go....use RE's instructions to reinstall the cone....

nevermind guess that link isnt alive anymore...thats what i used to do mine...bummer.

Brad

Didn't we just have the discussion on this a day or so ago with good pictures and a practical writeup. Just asking as I wanna know too.------Kyle

Thanks Dazz, I think that the bolt on bearing retainer isn't used on the post 96's.

I'm going to make my own and was wondering how they had it setup.

Sean

Here is my setup...

1255p1010297-med.JPG

OneTonXJ said:
I'm going to make my own and was wondering how they had it setup.

Sean

Hmm, now is this a one-time thing you're doing here Sean, or would you be interested in making more than one?

:D

One time only. I don't feel the need to rip off someone elses design and make money on it. I'll just save some of my own $$$$.

Sean

Back