• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 input shaft question

tighttrailxj

NAXJA Forum User
I blew the np242 in my '90. I have a 21 spline input. I found a new transfer case with a 23 spline input, How tough, if it can be done at all, to swap the parts to get this transfer case mounted to the back of my AW4? I searched but got conflicting thoughts.

Also, the only beefed up case I found, besides an Atlas, was the 231 from JB Conversions. Does anybody have experience with their cases? Are they worth $1200 plus a new DS? thanks

Swapping the inputs is easy. With both cases out and in front of you, probably an hours work for someone who hasn't done it before. I was intimidated the first time I tore into one, but as long as you pay attention and put everything back where it belongs, it's easy. Pull the case halves apart, main shaft, cluster, etc. along with chain (after pulling front output). A couple of snap rings, like 4 bolts on the front of the case and another snap ring and then the input is out. I'm sure you can find more detailed instructions somewhere on here, but it really is simple.

John

As said above, with a good set of snapring pliers, you can knock it out in an hour or two. I went the opposite way, so I have a 21 spline gear if you're interested, I think... You can get one from Novak conversions for about $90 plus shipping, but I would give you a muc sweeter deal... :laugh3:

PM me if interested.

Back