• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery review

wilson

NAXJA Forum User
I need a battery for my 92, ans I'll be running 9000i warn and 4 KC offroad lamps. sould have a place to look up some good reviews.
You know when you go to buy a battery you want to buy the right one. I had a optima red top it was out of a jeep we were going to deliver so i took it. but after 2-3 days it started to hiss. it got very hot. domething about the charging volts 14.3 max or somthing. need to check that out.
thanks for your time.

wilson said:
I need a battery for my 92, ans I'll be running 9000i warn and 4 KC offroad lamps. sould have a place to look up some good reviews.
You know when you go to buy a battery you want to buy the right one. I had a optima red top it was out of a jeep we were going to deliver so i took it. but after 2-3 days it started to hiss. it got very hot. domething about the charging volts 14.3 max or somthing. need to check that out.
thanks for your time.
Your good with the Optima but you need to fix your charging system.

There are only a few battery mfgs that you'll run across in any retail or repair facility. Other than that, they are all rebadged now that the small mfgs have mostly faded away in the past three years.

Get the longest free replacement warranty you can find (not the prorated warranty). If you look at cold cranking amps, usually the higher the number the hotter the chemical reaction and, therefore, the quicker it will die. Get something in a mid range with relation to CCA's.

If you are going Hawker or Optima, realize that these technologies are good for being upside down but have known flaws over 128* in relation to charge acceptance. Google some marine sites, conclusive tests have been done by independent labs.

I recently learned that nearly all the car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by one of 2 companies (Exide is one, I don't remember the other) and different labels are put on.. Now, I don't know if this is true for Sweden or European countries but here standard lead-acid ones are mostly the same so buy the cheapes one just so long as you get one with a good warranty and high CCA rating. I wan't an Optima as well to prevent leaks of acid onto my alternator, if you have problems with an Optima don't they offer a warranty.

bajacalal said:
I recently learned that nearly all the car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by one of 2 companies (Exide is one, I don't remember the other) and different labels are put on.. Now, I don't know if this is true for Sweden or European countries but here standard lead-acid ones are mostly the same so buy the cheapes one just so long as you get one with a good warranty and high CCA rating. I wan't an Optima as well to prevent leaks of acid onto my alternator, if you have problems with an Optima don't they offer a warranty.
Not if you blow in up. How are you leaking acid, that should not happen with any battery.

Back