• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS setting procedure

boogie94xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I had the TB off of my mj yesterday because it was really gummed up. Would stay open...lots of fun but not conducive to avoiding speeding tickets. Anyway, my mistake was not marking the TPS/TB and getting it back in the same position. Now the motor runs at about 3k rpm's. Good news is the TB doesn't stick open any longer. So does anyone have a link to set the TB. I read a bunch of posts here that explain how to do it but none of them went into details on which terminal need to be at what values. Any assistance is appreciated.

I could be wrong but I think only the RENIX systems have a adjustable TPS. I think they're non adjustable on the HO engines that includes your 94

boogie94xj said:
So I had the TB off of my mj yesterday because it was really gummed up. Would stay open...lots of fun but not conducive to avoiding speeding tickets. Anyway, my mistake was not marking the TPS/TB and getting it back in the same position. Now the motor runs at about 3k rpm's. Good news is the TB doesn't stick open any longer. So does anyone have a link to set the TB. I read a bunch of posts here that explain how to do it but none of them went into details on which terminal need to be at what values. Any assistance is appreciated.
Got to take a look, 94 is different.
Also I think Manual and Auto are also different if it is adjustable.

Last edited:
Here you go, stright out of the Haynes book. It says 91 and newer are non adjustable but does not say what the below testing procedure is for so I'll assume both and you adjust the Renix for the following readings. It DOES SAY under replacing it to making sure the slot in the tps is aligned with the blade on the end of the throttle shaft. So if your readings don't change check this.

Do this with the TPS plugged in!

Center position: Positive meter lead.
Position with black wire: Negative meter lead.

With ignition on, slowly move throttle lever till it's wide open.
Observe reading. (I thinks they want a smooth rise in voltage)
With throttle fully closed it should be grater then 200 millivolts.
Fully open it should be a little less then 4.8 volts. (adjust for this)

The above is out of the Haynes Repair Manual. As I recall the one for the automatic is different and has a different voltage reading but it's not mentioned here.

JoBo

boogie94xj said:
and a five speed.

TPSmanT.jpg

Back