• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine every 2 weeks after TPS replacement

harryty

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 auto tranny xj and I have replaced the TPS three times and each time the check engine light comes back on after about 2 weeks. Then it comes on more and more frequently with use and the truck feels like it is taking longer to get into gear when the light is on and it maxes out speed at like 55 when it can usually get to about 85. The computer keeps saying it is a TPS problem because of low voltage. I don't know that much about cars honestly. It is lifted 4.5 inches on 32's with no gearwork or enginework. I have only put in aftermarket TPS' (STANDARD to be exact). Also, I was told it is important to mention that when the check engine light is on I can floor it and it just won't go that fast. I was told to also mention that it seems my car is not shifting into overdrive when the check engine light is on. Please help and thanks in advance, Harry

Don't keep throwing TPSs at it. If you have a code that says you have low TPS voltage, you might need to do some wiring checks. Maybe check the TPS excitation voltage and look at the TPS output as you open and close the throttle. See if voltage is changing smoothly and predictably.

I am having this problem also with my 94 ZJ. I took it to a mechanic that said it was only the TPS and I assumed that I needed to adjust the voltage but you cant do that. The jeep will not shift into overdrive and is about to drive me nuts. I have checked the wiring and have done everything but replaced the wire(have already bought a few ends from the junk yard and am getting ready for the stealership to rob me for the harness). Is there any other sensor that would cause low voltage at the TPS.

Jeremycj7 said:
I am having this problem also with my 94 ZJ. I took it to a mechanic that said it was only the TPS and I assumed that I needed to adjust the voltage but you cant do that. The jeep will not shift into overdrive and is about to drive me nuts. I have checked the wiring and have done everything but replaced the wire(have already bought a few ends from the junk yard and am getting ready for the stealership to rob me for the harness). Is there any other sensor that would cause low voltage at the TPS.
Bad grounds are the most often overlooked problem or low battery voltage.

Back