• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this it for a 5.5-6.5 piece together kit?

jeepster89

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have looked at kits for 5.5-6.5 lift kits to get the parts i would need to buy them separtely. so far this is what i ahve come up with these will eb used with a T&T y-link long arm:

Front coils either zj 4.5 or xj 5.5 or xj 6.5
rear leaf packs 4.5
rear shackles 1.5
front adjsutable track bar
adjustable sway bar discos
drop pit man arm
shocks
longer brake lines
steering box brace

if there is anythign else that i missed could you please add it in also and recomendations for the places or who to get them from that would be great to. i will be puttign a SYE and CV drive shaft along wit ha new rear end. just tryign to get a list of the componets i will ahve ot buy to make my own kit and use it with the T&T y-link. thank you for your comments and suggestions

Last edited:
when you figure out the shock length, let me know the part number if you would
thanks

what size tires you planning on running?

that might be some good info to put in there

If you need a drop pitman arm,you need a whole lot more than that.

A steering box brace is needed when you use a drop pitman arm. Don't forget the cost of an alignment.

If your going a piece by piece route why not just have some rear leaves made for your app insted of using the extended shackles?

You'll need new upper and lower control arms, or control arm drop brackets. At 5.5 inches, two things occur: arms get very steep which causes jarring ride and arm-to-LCA axle mnt interference (all of your suspension down travel is in your lift!!), and second, your wheels will be too far to the rear, requiring longer UCAs and LCAs. The jarring ride and down travel constriction will be relieved with either long-arm suspension or control arm drop brackets.
I personally think the drag link and track bar angles are excessive at 5in+ lifts, requiring some sort of high steer (passenger side knuckle change-out, such as ZJ or WJ??), dropped pitman arm, dropped track bar mnt at frame, and raised track bar mnt at axle. That said, I've been running a solid 6in lift quite sometime without a dropped pitman or high steer. I do run a dropped (custom 3in) track bar mnt on the frame. I also run dropped (custom 3in) control arm mounts--what a difference in ride that made! Also, I cringe every time I look at my steering set-up; to that end, i'm currently building a custom D44 with high steer (Ford axle, Chevy flat-top knuckles, etc.$$$$).
As far as the rear lift is concerned, I've not been happy with any after market springs--but have experience only with Rancho (good quality, but inadequate lift), Tomken 5-6 kit (never got to 5in and went down from there; also were made in Mexico--don't get me started with Tomken!). My own combo of Tomken and cast-off CJ leaves give me the height, but they're way too stiff. My rear lift also includes custom drooped front spring mounts and 2in dropped rear shackles. My point being I think it's hard to get lift in the rear without becoming too stiff. If the rear spring rate is excessively greater than the front springs, there's too much imbalance causing excessive weight transfer from one rear tire to the opposite front tire. I think the best approach for the rear are custom dropped spring and rear shackle mounts, getting maybe 3 to 4 inches of lift, then softer rear springs with less arch to make up the rest of the lift.

i wont need any LCA or UCA i will be using the T&T y-link long arm setup. thank you for all the other info tho should help alot. and can i sjut get some rear springs made for that app. by a suspension place or make my own?

Last edited:
Sorry about the comments regarding the need for control arms. Upon revisiting your first post I see you stated you were going with the T&T kit.
As far as what to do with rear springs, I'd suggest multiple searches on NAXJA. There have been many posts regarding rear springs choices.

when you were tlaking about the pass side knuckle change from a zj or wj that would allow me to use the steering setup from that vehicle correct? and would take care of my steering problems with that much lift?

Suggest you do a search on this forum or http://www.pirate4x4.com/. I saw something here or there recently discussing the use of Grand Cherokee (ZJ or WJ) knuckles to achieve a "higher" steering. Not sure of the particulars, since I only had a passing interest. But the idea is to raise the drag link on the passenger side to lesson the angle between the Pittman arm and the knuckle. I also believe there's a company out there(??) that sells a passenger-side XJ knuckle to achieve high steering. Again, the forum search function is your freind.

IMHO i think there is no replacement for some good leaf springs. I prefer to make them myself out of junkyard packs "dakota/ s-10. First of all because it saves a lot of money, and you can tune them to your liking.

As for the front i would go with zj coils because they are a little stiffer and will help balance out flex.

I would try to keep it as low as possible if you can. you can run 35's. A good 5 inches of lift is plenty to run 35's. If you really plan on wheeling it, a lower COG is very nice, add some skids and be done with it!

Thats my personal opinion however.

Back