• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Made Extending Shackles

xjaddiction

NAXJA Member #666
Here are some home made shackles that a friend of mine came up with. They work very well.

They are simple, and cheap. Mine are on an MJ

MJ stock shackle, bolted to an XJ stock shackle, with a piece of 1" square stock to keep them from completely closing on themselves.

100_2301.jpg

100_2298.jpg

100_2297.jpg

this pic they are just starting to extend.
100_2228.jpg

Looks a lot like revolvers, good luck with them. I just took mine off, too unstable off camber for my taste.

what keeps them from flipping the other way and royaling fawking your springs over?

i really like the design, i need to take some leaves out of my pack to get them to flex...

This is on an MJ, They bind before they extend all the way out, not to mention the shocks would limit them before that. These work well on the light rear of the MJ. Which doesn't flex much without them, before lifting a rear tire. Can't say what they would be like on the XJ. They don't unload, even on steep hills. I guess there is more friction with the non revolving shackles, that's why I like them.

Old news,posted mine 4 years ago(stock XJ shackles).Fully stopped(both ext/comp) original was UHMW then went to urethane.
BTW,cant imagine the metallic sounds you get,the UHMW was to harsh for me.The 95d Urethane took that sound completely away.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Last edited:
I would still highly recommend some sort of stop.

On a few occasions when I still had leafs in the rear of my MJ I flipped the stock shackle over backwards and bent main leafs. It wouldn't do it with flex, but if you back up and hit a rock it will do it quite easily.

or just link it :D

RCP Phx said:
Old news,posted mine 4 years ago(stock XJ shackles).Fully stopped(both ext/comp) original was UHMW then went to urethane.
BTW,cant imagine the metallic sounds you get,the UHMW was to harsh for me.The 95d Urethane took that sound completely away.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

any of the common querks of the unloading/off camber stability loss that i have heard of?

i like the idea...

These are on an MJ, so I don't here nothin back there... Plus the 38" TSL's take care of any other "metalic" noises you might here in an almost 20yr/old truck.

Good Idea Brett, I will add something to keep it from over extending.

I was running a similar setup in July '01 when I rolled my XJ at Tellico. I think they were a contributor, since I had fairly stiff leaf springs and much of my flex was coming from the shackle setup.

XJ_ranger said:
any of the common querks of the unloading/off camber stability loss that i have heard of?

i like the idea...

No,Ive loved the way they worked,but remember that was when my CG was alot lower(3" lift w/ 31's).The static length was 3.5" w/ an extended length of 5.5".

Back