• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this is one for the books!!!

artmo

NAXJA Forum User
98 cherokee 4.0 4wd stock. 122,000 mi.
will be driving along and all of a sudden all warning lites go on,tach,speedo and some other gauges stop working altogether. air bag lite goes on,check engine,check gauges go on. 5 0r 10 min. later all is well. then out of the blue it starts acting up again. like the hoodoos under the dash have taken over. car runs fine while all this s--- is going on.
here's the rub- when all the warning lites are on and when various gauges stop working (never the same ones,by the way-totally random) i can get everything back to normal again by merely pushing in hard and letting off of the odometer reset button!
what the h--- is going on with this thing and does anyone have afix for it? thanksfellows. art

Connector on the back of the instrument cluster is probably slightly oxidized. Unplug, replug, unplug, maybe dab on some anti-ox, reconnect and drive it.

Very common. It's already in "the books".

There is even a tsb for it I think.

I have "fixed" mine by cleaning and very slightly tweaking the connector pins. It lasted about 10K miles then started again. Now I just push on the plastic face over the guages a little on each side and it always comes right back.

yep, happens all the time. Mine did it. You need to disassemble the dash and pull the istrument cluster out. There are two plugs that it kind of snaps into on the back. Those plugs have become corroded. Get some sandpaper and some dielectric grease and give em a good once over. Good luck!

If they made one million 97+ Cherokees, 950,000 of those vehicles have gauges that do this.

I also have a crystal ball: Your AC evaporator will go bad, and the power window switches in your doors will stop working.

Welcome to the board; spend a few months here and you'll be an XJ expert.

TacticalFats said:
Welcome to the board; spend a few months here and you'll be an XJ expert.

He's right been here for less than a year, and my friends cant stand me talking about my jeep anymore....
but i sure did learn alot thats for sure, when i firt got here i tought a quick disco, was some sorta drive thru night club.... :)

cas

Back