• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box reinforcement

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to reinforce the steering box and bumper mount area on my '87 MJ as a preventive measure to any potential damage from wheeling it. It is, afterall, MJ #100,000 off the Toledo assembly line.

I'm comparing the C-Rok system to the JKS SBS. That equates to bolted vs welded.

All thoughts, opinions and experiences are welcome.

i'd say bolted. it's very much nearly as strong, and that way, you're not welding on the crappy sheetmetal "frame." plus, you can always remove the c-rok - welding... notsomuch.

i have neither, so consider this opinion as speculative.

I just installed the c-rok set up on my xj. I didnt really look at any other design to be honest. I can tell you that it is pretty stout. The fit was really good. The really only pain in the butt part, besides goofing with the heavy box itself, is getting all the fender support bolts loose...and not breaking them off. I also installed the inner plate along with the outer plate. After bolting that stuff together it seems its really strong now. They give you new sleeves to put through the frame and all. Gets my thumbs up.

Justin

Oh and good point on the welding.. I just installed the RE heavy duty track bar bracket as well. I did stitch weld that in a few places. But I would really hate to have to cut all that out to remove it if needed. Ide do it... but I wouldnt be happy.

ghettocruiser said:
Oh and good point on the welding.. I just installed the RE heavy duty track bar bracket as well. I did stitch weld that in a few places. But I would really hate to have to cut all that out to remove it if needed. Ide do it... but I wouldnt be happy.

how'd that work for you? have you wheeled on it yet? i can't keep mine tight to save my life...

Anyone use the C-Rok bumper mounting system? I'm really looking to reinforce both sides to allow for recovery strength, which the JKS full kit will do. It seems in order to do that with C-Rok stuff I'd need to order the bumper mounting system plus the inner steering box plate.

I have the whole C-rok front end stiffener/stering box reinforcement, looks really stout but have yet to test it out.
DSCN0476.jpg

Thanks, that answers my question. That's the view I've been curious about.

Hey skull, how much did you pay for that? am interested in maybe getting this for my herd.

ren said:
Hey skull, how much did you pay for that? am interested in maybe getting this for my herd.
I think it was around $190 for everything?? It was a while ago so i don't remember but it was around that. The guys at c-rok are really helpfull and they shipped it pretty quick.
edit: it was $179.18 shipped to CA.

I bought the JKS SBS a couple months ago, haven't got them on yet, but I was told they are very good and they look it.

They aren't just welded on. They are bolted and then their are cut in the plates that you weld to the "frame". It comes with 4 plates so one goes on each side of each fraimrail. They are also tow hook mounts and can be used as bumper mounts. But if you don't want to use them as bumper mounts, you can cut off the extra material.

I wont be using mine as bumper mounts because it would make it impossible to get the bumper off if everything is welded to the frame. I was just looking for a solid tow point and something to brace the steering box and it sounded like the perfect solution.

Dookie said:
how'd that work for you? have you wheeled on it yet? i can't keep mine tight to save my life...

Same here until mine was welded. Had a competent welder who is familiar with the XJ POS 'frame' weld it up properly. I still get some of the typical frame flex, but the nasty squeaks and groans are gone. I've wheeled it several times since then and it's holding just fine. I still need the stiffener that goes across to the other side.

Installed the C-rok here a couple weeks ago and the steering got a little tighter while wheeling. :) C-rok for now, JKS later. Just didn't have the time/money to do both sides in JKS like I really wanted. This is going to do me just fine.

0313 said:
Get the JKS one, just dont use liquid nails to hold it on.

I got the JKS, easy to install and works perfect.

Hey, don't give away my secrets!

Actually, I found someone with a decent welder so I should be good to go.

also look at TNT customs - brousing their site last night showed that they have a steering box system...

also LBEXJ had his steering box riped from his frame recently, might shoot him a PM and ask what he did to re-pair and his thoughts on the piece that he used...

Been running the ORGS Mfg./JKS SBS for over two and a half years and it has been doing its' job.

I've had the C-Rok system for a few years, but I'm finding a few new cracks in the 'frame' near the swaybar mount. Seems some of the factory spot welds are becoming a problem, that's the starting point for the cracks I've fixed.

I've been running the C-ROK outer plate for a while now, and just recently installed the inner plate and frame sleeves. I've already got a C4x4 winch bumper though, so I really wasn't concerned with beefing up the front end as a whole, just the steering mounting.

XJ_ranger said:
... also LBEXJ had his steering box riped from his frame recently, might shoot him a PM and ask what he did to re-pair and his thoughts on the piece that he used...
Actually, I did not "rip" the steering box from the frame ... I busted the heads of the lower two bolts. The frame rail was not damaged.

For the outer plate, I used the 3/16" flat plate used to mount my front bumper. I used some 1/4" plate I had laying around to build an inner stand-off plate. I bolted it up using new grade 8 bolts.

I am not making a recomendation ... this is just how I repaired/reinforced mine.

Les

Back