• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beefy bumper brackets?

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
I was wondering if anyone knew of any place that sold strong bumper brackets to use as the start of a home made bumper. I really want to build a quick bumper that involves a simple piece of box tube with tow hooks bolted on. My reasoning is that I have VERY limited access to a shop with fabrication tools, it is the machine shop in the mechanical engineering building here at school. I have keys to the place but the shop manager really doesnt like us working on our own things. I want to be able to have some bumper brackets that i can come in one night and quickly MIG to the piece of tube.

its easy to fab a "quick" set out of a simple piece of 6 inch channel iron with 2 or 3 (I can't remember) holes in one flange to match the stock holes , but it won't stand up to the stresses of being used as a tow point without further bracing to the "frame" the stock bumper attach points will rip off. you will need to go further up the frame attaching in several places. you actually need to spend some time looking at professionally designed bumpers, take your time measuring the rear attach points, lay out and cut out all of your pieces one night, dress them up, then give yourself another night to mock up your bumper and tack weld it together in place..might need a 3rd night to weld it all out. then clean it up, paint it and mount it.

take pictures, and post up the progress.

i like the detours backbone system...
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

and Terry at Rigidco had a basic platform, but he was runnin a little behind on orders IIRC...

and i find a dead link to his bumper mounting system page making me think that he no longer wants to make just thoes...

XJ_ranger said:
Terry at Rigidco had a basic platform, but he was runnin a little behind on orders IIRC...
The Rigid mounting system is a great system. I've used it on all my bumpers.

However, yes, I believe they're suffering growing pains right now.

Here is what I made up for the front bumper.
Here is C-Roks that I made my copy from...
Jeep011.jpg

Here it is in place. The open hole has a 3/4" Grade 8 bolt in it along with the steering box bolts.
Jeep006.jpg

Also added some 1/4" plate all the way across the front to tie it all in.
Jeep010.jpg

I welded some angle iron on the bumper I made and welded that onto the brackets after I fit it up to the XJ.
1006.jpg

Good luck. Jeff

Would anyone happen to have possibly an autocad or similar drawing of the x, y positions of the bolt holes for the brackets, it would be nice to be able to make the plates without pulling my front bumper off and measuring. It would minimize the downtime and heck, i could clamp the plate in the mill in the shop to mark the drill holes at the exact spots.

i used the following picture above for my cad design, and the rear 2 bolt holes are about 1/4-1/2 an inch out, i have the cad program for this, it turned out pretty nice, i made a couple bumpers, making another on monday for another xj.

Back