• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just a run-of-the-mill clunking noise...

bkcampbe

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and came up empty. I have a 1990 laredo with a 4.0, AW4, 241 (242) I cannot remember the number...full time, part time, etc. When I put it in 4wd...any 4wd, it clunks several times...no number of clunks specificly and makes the entire front half the jeep shudder. It was no differently before I lifted it, so I know it has nothing to do with the lift. So far....the front end u-joints seem ok. I took out the driveshaft to see how the u-joints felt and in the cardan, it seemed okay...not great, but I have had much worse in a standard shaft with no probs. I am assuming that whatever the problem is it is either in the transfer or the cardan because it seems as though I can feel it beneath my feet. Thanks for any help you can give.

Re: just a run-of-the-mill clunking noise...???

I guess I should have mentioned that I could use some input as to what could be causing this. Thanks again

Re: just a run-of-the-mill clunking noise...???

Transfer case? I'm new to the motorized TC so I'm not sure. Hoping to spur some more intrest here.

It doiesnt do it all the time either....very strange. I had to use it to get up the parents driveway this morning to drop off the kiddo on my way to work and it didnt clunk at all...and I know that the 4wd did work....as I didnt have to walk up the hill. This afternoon, I had clunks galore in the same spot being put into 4wd, so this is really starting to confuse the heck out off me

Back