• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Primer colour for PR4 (Red '95)

glub

NAXJA Forum User
Just fixing some rust spots. Not looking for perfection, but I used red oxide primer figuring it would be a good base for my red top-coat. Anyway, a coat or two later and the red oxide seems to still be showing through... Even over silver POR-15 the red doesn't cover that well (I sanded the POR with 400 grit).

I guess a very light (white?) primer would be best? Is there primer colour that is best for red.. I dunno yellow or something?

Thanks...

I suggest this thread be in Paint and Bodywork Forum, probably get a more definite answer.

The darker the primer, IE: Black or the dark red, the darker your paint will be.

The lighter the primer, IE: White or Gray, the lighter your paint will be.

You may not be to tell the difference. Usually the general rule, at least what Brian Cornwell of BC Signs and Automotive is use a primer that goes with the color of the car. If he's painting an orange, he would use a white to bring out the color more, and a grey to darken it. Most of the time he uses a base coat of paint, because he rarely does a factory style job, most his work is custom stuff.

I would see what the factory uses to get best results.

If the underlying color is showing through, you don't have enough paint on. Period.

Back