• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

24 volt winch

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
A friend is getting his hands on a 24volt Warn for free. What options are there (if any) other than replacing the motor to make this thing work?

guess i auta explain a little, batteries can be run in series or parallel, pos-pos and neg-neg or pos-neg and pos-neg respectivly. the latter will create 24 volt system used in some aplications. the problem you run into is either using one or the othe 12 or 24v a series/parallel switch allows you when needed to swithch the bat's over to 24v and then for normal use run 12v. in a 24v system there is a high bat and a low bat meaning one see's on the first bat in the series the positive lead see's 12v but the second bat will have 24v at it's positive terminal. this high and low side created will allow you to run your winch and also your stock accesories. But with the switch set to parallel you will be able to charge both bat's with your standard alt but in series only the low bat will be able to receive a charge. so if winching for a wile you may need to switch back over to parallel to recharge the high side bat.

hope this helps.

Both batteries can be charged if you use a "isolator"(diode bank).

you would have to isolate the two bat's and then jump the 12v up to 24 to charge the high side correct?

bj-666 said:
you would have to isolate the two bat's and then jump the 12v up to 24 to charge the high side correct?
No,just feed each battery separately at 12 volts.The grounds would also have to be isolated and separate.

RCP Phx said:
No,just feed each battery separately at 12 volts.The grounds would also have to be isolated and separate.

I havent seen an isolator that does not use a common ground?

cal said:
I havent seen an isolator that does not use a common ground?
That part you would have to do yourself with a multi-contact battery switch,you can get them from places like Westmarine.Didnt say it would be easy,but it can be done.

bj-666 said:
are you saying that both can be charged while in series or paralell
You dont need to do anything for parallel use,when in series you could only charge both when the 2nd battery is disconnected from the 1st(main power lead).Then you have to disconnect the 2nd batteries ground(charging ground,it would have no frame groud) before closing the main battey switch.

maby i wasn't clear but that was in my earlier post you will not be able to charge both bat's when in series, only in parallel or seperate that is the whole point of a series/parallel switch 99% of the time you have two bat's in parallel but while winchin you can flip a swith and have series and 24v's but you will not be able to charge both

So I'll need cables, 2 isolators (?), a multiple battery switch, and another battery.

Then connect the batteries in series and parallel for a 24 and 12 volt source.

Then use the switch to select 12 or 24 volts.

Or convince the guy to buy a 12 volt motor and controller for the winch.

I think I'll experiment with some 9 volt batteries and bulbs or motors before I take the plunge on someone elses Jeep...

I remember a story about doing this in one of the off road magazines, but I've been looking for about a half an hour now and can't find it. I thought it was on Four Wheeler "Project Fiery Red Head" but it seem that it was just a reguler 12V wihch.

Back